Start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Also I forgot to mention, when I was looking around today I noticed there was a plug in my graphics card that the power supply would send one of those white connectors into, I haven't had it in for the time that I've had my card.
By all means, connect a power plug up to that. I'm surprized it ever worked without it. I recall some cards would work in 2D mode without the supplemental power, but not 3D mode. Maybe yours is one of those.

I did try starting it up with the card connected once, didn't make a difference. (Although I don't think you're saying it would)

Possible yes, something would have to be majorly damaged though. Like a shorted connection that ends up feeding 12v directly into the mtoherboard. But, your stuff worked and then died. A defect normally would fry everything right away.

Well what do you know?!!

Just for giggles, I disconnected the supplemental power on my 6600 GT and powered up. I figured for sure that I would get absolutely nothing. No POST and certainly no video. Instead, it booted right up to Windows. However, when I logged in, I was greeted by the message below. Have you ever seen that? (I do have the very latest Forceware 7.1.8.4 drivers. Maybe that matters.)

Attachments

• 6600 gt supplemental power unplugged.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 14
If you click on the Troubleshooting button, you get this message:

(Sorry about the size. Stupid 600 pixel wide limit.)

Over time, your system may have indeed become irreparably damaged.

Attachments

• 6600 gt supplemental power unplugged troubleshooting 600x101.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 15
Ooooh, that really sounds painful.

And no, I never did get any notice like that (I wish I did, heh). If I had a guess, win2k pro could be the reason.

Edit: I actually did get the march 11th forceware drivers update a couple days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom