Win 98 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
Here's the situation. I have here an old HDD that has windows 98. The HDD has bad clusters everywhere, so it's no good. I have a windows 98 SE upgrade CD from her, and also a new HDD with nothing on it. Now, is it possible to install 98 SE with the upgrade using the old HDD, and transferring the OS to the new HDD? I don't think it's possible, she also doesn't have the full version of Win 98 for me to install on the new HDD, only the upgrade, (which is usless with out the full version). Any suggestions? Other then upgrading, lol. That's the route I'd take obviously. But it's not my choice

I doubt it's possible only becuase it'll need to install the upgrade to the root folder, at least that's what I think would happen. Try it out anyways, Windows tends to do odd things sometimes lol.

Since it's the 98se you're trying to install, I don't think it's possible (my reasons are the same as DanMnz). If it was a Win 2000 or XP upgrade then you could just do a dual boot, but you need the root folder for this. 98SE full edition shouldn't run you too much on ebay, though.

A fresh install or upgrade won't erase any of your shit. Well, 90% of the time it doesn't ... occasionally it will bollox up bad.

Solution be simple. It be long winded and not amazingly efficient, but simple.

Write a batch script to open command.com, then call it autorun.bat. Put it onto a floppy. Put both HDD's into the PC, then insert the floppy disk and boot from it.

Then, type

copy D:\ C:\

And it should copy everything from the bad HDD with the OS to the new empty HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom