ending system process, except sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
I play the Sims 2 University on my laptop, it works great, however I usually end as many unneccesary user and system process as possible before playing to make it run just that little bit smoother.

The only issue I run into when doing this is I am also disabling the speakers or sound drivers or something, as the sound completley dies when I shut down all the processes. Is there some way I can out what process belongs to the sound/speakers so I don't kill them? Or is it not as easy as that? :D

Well you need to know what Sound/Speakers you have and what drivers they are using and they will appear on the Task Manager, I tell you the bestway we can help to find this is to post a Hijackit Log. or if you knew what Soundcard/Speakers you where using and post what Tasks are running we could help you out.

Okily Dokily...

The system processes I am running right now are:
wmplayer.exe
WINWORD.exe
OUTLOOK.exe
GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
firefox.exe
iPodService.exe
ApntEx.exe
ObjectDock.exe
GoogleDesktop.exe
TeaTimer.exe
RestoreDesktop.exe
msnmsgr.exe
iTunesHelper.exe
AGRSMMSG.exe
ashDisp.exe
eabservr.exe
atiptaxx.exe
Apoint.exe
ashWebSv.exe
ashMaiSv.exe
ctfmon.exe
iTunes.exe
Fast.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
wdfmgr.exe
svchost.exe
SMAgent.exe
MDM.exe
ashServ.exe
aswUpdSv.exe
sppolsv.exe
explorer.exe
about five more svchost.exe
ati2evxx.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
ati2evxx.exe
taskmgr.exe
alg.exe
System
System Idle Process

I shut down everything, except explorer and the ones Bill Gates won't let me.

Under Device Manager, I found the following names about anything to do with sound:
SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio
Legacy Audio Drivers
Audio Codecs

Should I post all the driver info for this stuff too?

sorry, that's my bad. that is meant to be spoolsv.exe, isn't that something to do with the printer spool? Even if it isn't, thanks for pointing it out!

You use Outlook?! Bah! It's poo! :) Don't use it lol also I don't think you need iPodHelper.exe I think it's just a tool which assists you if you get stuck, it's like nvhelper.exe or simlar which is a tool that helps you for your nvidia card, I could be wrong since I havn't used a ipod before, by all means keep it if you need help :)

Yes that is a good point, considering I don't even have an ipod! lmao. What is that thing you use to disable start up items, servicesmanager or something, I have used it before but can't remember what I typed into run.

To disable items from starting up automatically, use MSCONFIG.
Just be sure of what you are disabling before you uncheck the boxes.
If you google for the items, you should be able to decipher what they are and if you need them.

theres description of the services and you can disable them and change them in control panel/admin tools/services, there you get a complete list of all the services.

ps: if you dont use msn messenger, turn off msmsgs.exe, and sims 2 might run slow is because you have a crap load of stuff running man, i mean, theres a lot of stuff i wouldnt use, but......thats me.

Thanks guys. I think I will just google everything and disable what I don't need. And yes, I do use MSN messenger. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom