Start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raygtc

Solid State Member
I never knew I could be this tired at 4:30 PM. Ugh.

Ok, here's my current setup.

Motherboard- P4S800 asus (I'm not sure if more information is needed on that)
GFX Card- XFX nVidia GeForce 6600 GT (for AGP)
Monitor- New (used it for 1 day) Samsung SyncMaster 915N 19 inch flat screen
Power Supply- Raidmax Switching Power RD-350 Watt
Sound - Onboard as far as I know...
Memory - two sticks of 512, one is corsair, not sure what the other is
CD drive - it's 52x24x52 is all I know

The basic problem is that when my computer starts up, everything seems to go, but the monitor won't go on, the little green light just blinks, and even when the computer isn't on, it still just blinks.

Now here are the circumstances.

Yesterday, my whole setup was working fine. Now, I've had a problem where the computer randomly seems to go into a standby mode when I play games (world of warcraft, city of heroes for instance) with max settings, I wouldn't really say it's random, but it sometimes does seem to take a while to happen. If I lowered the settings to the lowest, there didn't seem to be a problem, and strying to start everquest 2 and Halflife 2 would just turn it off outright. Anyway, what happened last night is that I was trying different things to get this to stop, and finally I gave up, it did one of the improper sleepmode things, and I just shut everything off, and went to bed. And then this morning, I got these dead kind of startups.

When I power up the computer, all the fans go on, and I hear the harddrive start to spin, also, the random lights on my case go on as usual, I don't hear any beeps or anything of that nature, it's just that the monitor sits there and continues to blink. There is also little green light on the mobo that's always on as long as the power switch is on.

I have tried some different things, switched monitors, nothing, switched the connection port I was using in the GFX card (there are 2), still the problem, I took out the GFX card and put it back in, still the problem, I took out the older ram stick with just the corsair (didn't try just the older), still no dice. I unplugged things from the power strip, switched outlets, still nothing. Sadly I don't have another power supply or GFX card to try with

I think the monitor is alright because there is a little test button on it, when I push that, it goes on and says "test good", with some dots under it, in a box in the upper lefthand corner. Also, when I disconnect it from the vid card, it turns on and does the whole "check connections" thing.

Here's some other info I think may help:

In order, I upgraded my ram (added the corsair stick) and graphics card (from 5200 FX to the 6600 GT) a few months ago, and then yesterday I bought my new monitor, and my new speakers.

Before I upgraded RAM and my GFX card, I would get random restarts and some blue screens while playing games, it seemed to stop when I turned off PC-Cillin's live scan as well as the Seti program. When I upgraded my card and added ram, those stopped happening, but the new problems arose.

I hope you guys can give me some help here, I don't want to start replacing things if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Ray

Edit: Also I forgot to mention, when I was looking around today I noticed there was a plug in my graphics card that the power supply would send one of those white connectors into, I haven't had it in for the time that I've had my card. :confused:

You're using the dvi port or the vga port on the video card?

Have you done any overclocking with the system?

Any beepcode errors?

350 Watt ps is borderline, but should do the trick.

Plug some headphones into the intergrated sound and tell us what the annoying female tells you. (this is the problem code)

When I look at the back, it looks like they're both DVI ports, plus there's an S-video port (a small round one).

I don't know how to overclock really, and when it starts up I don't hear any beeps

I tried headphones (in both the blue and the green, for good measure. Didn't hear anything. Just so I know I'm not giving out wrong information, the 3 jacks for speakers, and microphones and stuff coming off the motherboard means it's onboard sound, right?

if the ports are attached to the motherboard or are on a breakout cable, then yes.

Did you plug the monitor into both dvi ports for good measure?

Yeah, I did, also tried another monitor in both the ports.

Edit: It was an old Sony CRT, the one I used before I got the new one.

Well that sounds real painful, does that mean I have to replace the whole motherboard, or is it possible just to replace the CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom