Computer not correct specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to uninstall the drivers, by disabling the device windows will remove it. (well, not completely, it'll still have the drivers in the system. But it won't have any adverse effects)

Yes, in the phoenix bios under integrated peripherals, you should be able to disable the onboard video.

Edit: You need to disable the card itself, not the memory. There should be another option.

On some of the other stuff like Onboard LAN and other stuff I can disable/enable but for Onboard Video Memory it only gives me the choice of auto, 8mb, 16mb, 32mb, and 64 mb but no disabling.

I don't see another one for it. Let me give you the whole list under advanced.

Plug and Play OS
Reset Configuration Data
Primary Video Adapter (this is set to PCI should I set it to AGP?)
PS/2 Mouse
Oboard 1394
USB Legacy Mode Support
Onboard LAN
Onboard LAN Boot ROM
Local Bus IDE Adapter
Onboard Video Memory
Onboard Audio
Supervisor Password
User Password
1/0 Device Configuration
HardWare Monitor

That's all.

JeffK91 said:
So I'm not sure what I do. Do I put my 5500 vid card on the brown slot?
It's going to be that slot or no slot. The AGP slot is always dark brown. It is also physically farther from the back of the case so that PCI cards won't line up with the AGP slot and still reach the back of the case and AGP cards won't line up with the white PCI slots and reach the back of the case. It's pretty hard to get them mixed up even if you try.

BTW What do you mean by I have to press F1, F2, etc. while the comp is posting?
You press the keyboard key that gets you into the BIOS settings. Unfortunately there's no standard on that. Some manufacturers use the DELete key, some use F2, and Compaq used to be partial to F10. Since they've started using OEM motherboards from Asus rather than building their own, try the DEL key. Also, some motherboards will sense a card in the AGP slot and either disable the onboard video automatically or make it a secondary video card to the one in the AGP slot. (Windows XP supports multiple video cards.)

Dangit. I walk away for a minute and you guys are already past the info in my reply before I post. Still the part about inserting your AGP might disable the onboard video or make it a secondary video card should still apply.

Yeah I'm in the BIOS and everything now. I'm supposed to go to Onboard Video Memory and disable it but the only options for it are Auto, 8mb, 16mb, 32mb, 64mb I dont see a disable option for it.

Set the primary video adapter to agp, turn off the computer. Install your video card. Boot up, go into the bios. Check the settings again to see if you can disable onboard video. What is under I/0 device configuration?

You may not need to. You might want to turn down the memory to 8MB. Auto may also become 0MB if a video card is installed in the AGP slot.

Try putting in your video card, attach the monitor to it and reboot. If you see the Windows XP boot screen on that monitor, it's the primary. If you see the boot screen on your built-in video, it's still the primary.

Again, you can have two video cards running in one system. People who do video editing use such a setup.

The I/O Config opens up a whole new set of options

Serial Port A
Base I/O Address
Interrupt

Parallel Port
Base I/O adress
Mode
Interrupt

That's what it says. Are you sure I should put in the vid card before disabling it? Because the manuel said not to. Well anyways I put the vid card on the AGP Slot right?

If you do end up with two video cards, install the drivers for your 5500, and get it up to speed. You should then be able to go into the Display properties control panel (by right-clicking on the background of the screen and choosing properties) and pick which video card you want to be the primary. I think you can also disable the secondary video card (which would be the built-in video) from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom