Computer not correct specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, I really don't wanna go through the trouble. My dad bought this for me and I don't wanna dissapoint him. I like this comp and I just wanna put in my vid card, and start playing some games. I don't need to be gaming to the max, I just wanna kill some time as I'm not such a serious gamer. I know you guys are just trying to help me get the best out of my money but really, it's okay i'm happy.

My only problem is learning how to uninstall my integrated graphic drivers and installing this vid card. If anyone knows how, PLEASE reply back, thanks.

P.S. I don't have a camera, but I'm gonna open up my comp to see if there is a brown thing.

Well, you cant take the integrated card out, thats what it is integrated. As for installing the card, its easy. Simply put it in the appropriate slot and screw it down with the screw thats in the case. Then start it up and disable the integrated card, and activate the good one. Be sure to download the latest drivers.

Im not positive this is exactly the right way to do it. if u want really good directions, go to www.tomshardware.com

If you have an agp slot it will be the first slot on the motherboard going from top to bottom. You need to figure out how to get into the bios of your motherboard (usually del, or f2 or f1 or something.) You need to press these keys when your computer is posting. The big Compaq logo will be covering it up, so you wont actually see where it says "press f2 or del" so just press a bunch of keys until you get into the bios. from here you can disable unneeded things like lpt ports and com ports and onboard integrated graphics. If you ever screw something up in the bios and your system wont post. Remember this.. Unplug power from powersupply, remove the battery from the motherboard (circular battery) for 15 seconds. Put the battery back in, reconnect power. Turn your system on and the bios will be back to default settings.

Also, depending on the motherboard the agp slot could be red or purple or green or blue or a half dozen other colors. But it will always be the first slot in the series of slots.

Ok starting from the bottom I see 4 slots. The first 3 are sort of tannish (the first slot has a chip on it the others dont)and the 4th one is brown. Perhaps thats the AGP slot?

No, the 4th one down is going to be your CNR, or modem riser. The agp slot will always be the first slot on the motherboard. See if the 5500's pinout corresponds to the first slot on the motherboard.

Edit: Wait, you were going from bottom to top. So yes, you are correct that is the agp slot. Sorry, im a slow today.

So I'm not sure what I do. Do I put my 5500 vid card on the brown slot?

BTW What do you mean by I have to press F1, F2, etc. while the comp is posting?

yea put it in. You have to unscrew the small piece of metal that is in the side of the case. You slip the card into the slot and then screw it in using the screw that held the piece of metal in.

For a detailed rundown, go to www.tomshardware.com

In order to get that 64mb of ram back from onboard video, you need to disable that device in the motherboard bios. In order to get into the bios you need to press f1, f2, del (im not sure which key allows you to accomplish this on your motherboard). This will bring up a screen that allows you to make all kinds of changes to the way your system operates. (Boot orders, devices, usb, processor, etc)

dhw200 said:
yea put it in. You have to unscrew the small piece of metal that is in the side of the case. You slip the card into the slot and then screw it in using the screw that held the piece of metal in.

For a detailed rundown, go to www.tomshardware.com

Hold on, don't I need to uninstall my integrated drivers first?

Also I think I'm in the bios but im not sure. It says press F1 for startup and when I did at the top it says Phoenix - Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility. Is this right?

Ok I think this is the right place because when I go to "Advanced" theres a whole list of stuff including Onboard Video Memory. This is the right place right?

Well it's set on [Auto] and when I hit enter it gives me a choice of Auto, 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, and 64MB. I don't see one for disabling it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom