Help me choose 17 inch LCD display!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrJanda

Beta member
Ok, after a lot of research i found the 3 possible canditates for buying.

Hyundai Q17A (same as Q17 but silver color)
NEC 1760NX
LG 1710B

Which one should I choose? I tend to go with the Hyundai, I just need your advise which would be overall best one out of the 3.

I have a NEC 1760NX. Fine piece of monitor, though Ive never run a game on the thing, so I cant tell you, accurately, waht the pixel response time is and such, but it is a quality monitor.

try to find the one with the lowest response time (16ms is great) if you're going to be gaming a lot.
also check the contrast ratio, my friend has a Dell with 400:1 i think, and that's plenty enough, but more contrast will of course bring you more vivid colors.

The newest NEC's are great. I don't have one but from my reading that's the one I'd get.

I checked french toms hardware website and they did test all these LCD displays. Hyundai Q17 wins, eventhough it has 20ms response time (unlike the other 2 have 16ms rt).

Hyundai Q17 has colors closest to perfection and the reason why theres less ghosting than on the other 2 with 16ms response time is that LG and NEC use AU Optronics panel which though has a rapid response time of 16ms but it only works when the game or program uses 262 000 colors, if the game uses more than the panel tries to find 2 closest shades, thus increases response time = more ghosting than on Hyundai Q17.

Controls ratio is 450:1 for all of them (i think).

LG.
they become big specializing in monitors, there sleek, i like em, personally i have a samsung, but after seeing LG monitors nowadays, i know i went wrong.

I love my NEC LCD1760V... 16ms response makes for great gaming and DVD performance. However, when buying an LCD (or any monitor for that matter) the ONLY way to make a good decision is go to the store and test the monitors yourself. See if you can run a game or two on it, maybe watch a bit of a movie or something.. that way you know what the performance is really like and you don't have to rely on someone else's opinion.

Dusting off this old topic b/c I am in the market for an LCD. I was on tigerdirect.com and saw a range of 15" - 17" lcd Scanport, AOC, Sony and Megavision to name a few...they all ranged from $250-$320. I don't have much exp. with LCD's but from reading past posts it seems that the thing to look for when choosing an LCD is low response time and contrast ratio.

From the list above, do any of you have experience with these brand LCD's, are they any good because they are relatively cheap?

Anything else to look for when choosing LCD's?

Sony 18.1 in

I bought a sony 18.1 in LCD display from tiger direct and could not be happier with it. It runs games just fine no ghosting effect. I think i paid $480 or so for it but at the time they had it on special for 4 paymentts of $122 I just finished paying for it. the only thing i whish it had that it does not is a DVI input if you have computer with that capablility it is worth it to get a monitor that supports it.

thx Techie23, do you know anything about the other brands that I mentioned as far as quality? Also is there anything else I should be aware of when purchasing one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom