Are all PCI slots the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feminine stache

Beta member
Hello. I have an old crappy computer and I was going to get a little video card to make it a little better. All I have open on my computer is a PCI slot. I bought a card labeled PCI and it didn't look like it would fit in the slot. The socket things looked like this. I found a picture of a card that looks like it would fit perfectly here. I returned the card and then realized it might have actually fit if one side of the card just didn't actually plug into anything. It just hung off the side. I don't really want to go buy it again if I'm going to have to return it again. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The first picture looks like it is a PCI card that fits in a PCI slot. The second picture looks like it is an AGP card that goes in the AGP slot. An AGP slot is set off differently from the other PCI slots and is a different color, sometimes brown. Most newer motherboards (PCI-E exlcuded) for example have 5 PCI slots and then 1 AGP slot. Does yours look like that?

I think it depends on the version of your PCI slots. The newer ones would support both cards but the older ones would only support im thinking one of them.

EDIT: There both PCI cards just differnt version PCI i think......

My computer's PCI slots look exactly like the ones on that motherboard diagram. I've yet to see a PCI slot that would use all three of those prong things on the first PCI card I showed, but I see more of those PCI cards than the ones that look like they'd fit in my PCI slot. I was thinking maybe it's like that so if the PCI slots on the motherboard are in a weird direction the card would fit either way. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom