Intresting XP drive letter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
No this is just my home PC, I am not running a server yet

I cannot find anything to rename it under my computer

you will have to reformat. Make sure you manually pick the drive and don't let the xp cd do it for you.

also did you boot from cd when you installed windows or do you run the cd inside of windows. when you run it inside windows, you have to pick expert installation (then pick the let me pick my own partition option) or it will always do this to you everytime

try lower your picture resolution to 800X600. you can see it better

You can't rename a drive that is running an o/s on it. So D stays D. The only way out of this is to do what I did...unplug that drives until you are formatted, forcing your computer to make that drive your C drive.

I have a SATA with an O/S on it so it's still unplugged but I have a 30 gig and a 160 gig that are regular IDE's. As long as the 160 gig was plugged in, my computer would be stupid and regardless of how hard I tried, it would NOT let me name the 30 gig the C Drive, so I got even and unplugged it during the format, LOL.

Well, with only ONE drive plugged in, it had to be the C Drive. I formatted and the first time I shut down, I plugged my 160 back in and voila, all the drives are back like they reasonably belong. I still haven't decided when to deal with my SATA cause I prefer to keep my O/S on my smallest hard drive. But I have it there and can force the issue. Liz

DJ-CHRIS said:
Yes files were their before XP

I swear I installed it to the 40 gig HD named C under windows install, well it's on my 40 gig HD but it's named D now :mad:

I didn't catch this one. did you have this as master or slave?

you can reformatted this drive, unhook the other one while installing and hook it back up after windows is installed.

I done that (having windows named as the d drive when having multiple drives attached)a few times in my early days of computing

southernlady said:
You can't rename a drive that is running an o/s on it. So D stays D. The only way out of this is to do what I did...unplug that drives until you are formatted, forcing your computer to make that drive your C drive.

I have a SATA with an O/S on it so it's still unplugged but I have a 30 gig and a 160 gig that are regular IDE's. As long as the 160 gig was plugged in, my computer would be stupid and regardless of how hard I tried, it would NOT let me name the 30 gig the C Drive, so I got even and unplugged it during the format, LOL.

Well, with only ONE drive plugged in, it had to be the C Drive. I formatted and the first time I shut down, I plugged my 160 back in and voila, all the drives are back like they reasonably belong. I still haven't decided when to deal with my SATA cause I prefer to keep my O/S on my smallest hard drive. But I have it there and can force the issue. Liz

Why do we seem to post a lot at the same time with the same answer. Your answer's is more thorough though

I don't know, Eric, but we've been doing that alot lately...if *I* didn't know better, I'd swear we were tracking each other. LOL. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom