Reformating Computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennykyser

Baseband Member
I have an older computer that I had upgraded with plenty of ram and CD burner etc before replacing it with my new dell. I would like to reformat it and set it up for the kids and just put the internet and word on it for them to use and network it to the main computer.

It has Windows NT on it but before that had 98 Se.

What is the best way for me to clean it up and get it ready, How do I reformat? would I be better of going back to win 98, or try and install XP?

Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Well, I would install XP. It's a pain finding drivers for '98.

Reformatting with XP is pretty easy, just get a disk, pop it into your CDROM and restart. It should say "press any key to boot from cd"

It will boot, and give you some options:

Click enter on this screen
CC.gif

Then you will press F8 to agree to the terms. Now it will take you to a page that shows your current partitions. Delete the partitions, by pressing "D" and then "L" to confirm. Now type "C" to create a new partition. Once the new partition is made, it will look something like this:

HH.gif

Click enter to install. Now it will ask you what file system to use to format. I always use NTFS. Now it will start formatting, and once it is finished it will copy the files and reboot automatically. This time you don't want to boot from the CD, let it boot from the hard drive. Now it will show the graphical setup, and from there on it's as easy as can be.

Hope this helped!

if it came with 98 i wouldn't put xp on it.

it could really drag down your computer.

i think the safe bet would be to install win98 back on.

is your older computer a dell as well.

if so it should come with a restore cd and that would be the best route to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom