Giving other user CD of Antivirus/Spyware programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
A friend of ours has just got a PC and will be going online for the first time next week when they get their Modem etc. I know how important it is to be protected when going online so I have made them a CD of the following Antivirus/spyware programs:-

Avg Antivirus
Spyware Blaster
Adaware
Spybot Search and Destroy

I want it to run as smoothly as possible when they install them, but I'm wondering if they are gonna encounter any problems installing AVG as if I remember rightly it asks for registration details when you run the install. Would my name/user number come up on their PC or would they not be able to install it as they haven't downloaded it themselves? If this is the case I can give them the link to download it, I just thought I'd ask here first.

Avg Antivirus
Spyware Blaster
Adaware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Good choices but if you want to be safe with the registration details, go with Avast Home instead. You can install it. And have his email set up ahead with a copy of the registation handy, I do that.

Also, add a firewall and you can find SpywareBlaster, AdawareSE, and Spybot for download if you look in my signature (not Avast or the Firewall). For those, go to MajorGeek.com and look on the left side under antivirus and then firewalls. And get the firewall up and running before you go online to do anything else with the computer...no updates or ANYTHING. Liz

Spysweeper and Microsoft Anti-Spyware own anything else.

The only reason I didn't suggest those two...Spysweeper isn't free (altho you do get a trial), and he didn't mention which o/s was involved and Microsoft Anti-Spyware is only for 2000 and XP. Liz

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I haven't used MS Anti-spyware as yet but I agree Spysweeper is an awesome program. I'll probably give them the link to go get the trial version of it. BTW they have XP, not sure if it is SP 1 or 2 though - their more my wife's friends than mine, so I haven't seen their particular PC. Cos of the registration thing, I'm thinking it'd be better to give them the link to go download AVG themselves and put the other programs on the CD. Does that sound good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom