XP wont read a CD burned in Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

okcpcmedic

Baseband Member
Burned two CD R's on two different Win 2000 machines using two different programs - Nero Express on one and Easy CD Creator on another. Don't know the versions of those programs.

Took the two different CDs to 4 different Win XP machines and they could not be read. Windows would freeze and and the machines would hard crash.

I'm thinking the versions of software on the older machines are the problem but can't find any info on this anywhere.

Thanks

You may have gotten a hold of some bad discs. I know it has nothing to due with the OS or the software.

Thanks for looking into this with me. We tried two different types of disks and they burned fine. I've used disks from the same spindle and had no problems burning data files onto them. In the office we don't have any XP machines with burners, just Win2K machines. Used standard CD-Rs 700MB from Staples.

I believe these machines that we used to burn the CDs were originally Win98 machines and the software was probably on them when they did the upgrade to Win2K. They don't like to upgrade OS's very fast around here; we just got Win2K last year and the only reason we have the XP machines is because we finally upgraded hardware two months ago!

I have a sneaky feeling that because the old machines were upgraded from Win98 and the CD writing software wasn't, they aren't readable with the XP machines. I've read some on this since we discovered the problem and that's what I'm betting. I just wondered if anyone here had actually ran into this type of problem before.

I've suggested that they buy updated versions of the CD writing software and also upgrade to XP on all the machines but they don't like to spend the money on us here!

Thanks again for any input!

Do this...download EVEREST Home Edition Then click on Reports at the top and click Report Wizard...I need a FULL report, plain text sent to me at the address in my profile, do NOT post it here. Once you see what it says, you will understand why I say do NOT post it here.

I'm looking for something about the inside of your computer. Liz

Thanks I can try this but one question. Do this on the older Win2K machine(s) that have the burners or the XP machines I've tried to read the disks on?

Alrighty I'll get it done. Might be a couple hours as they are managers' computers and I'll have to work it in their schedules. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom