You guys think SLI will be necessary in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
I'm going to be building my first system soon (wish me luck), and I'm wondering if I should splurge for a SLI board, but is it really worth it? Will I really need that much performance, or can I find a sufficient set up without it. I like to do gaming, but I don't really get into the first person shooters. I mainly play mmorpg's, but I would like to have high settings.

I currently have a dell dimension 8100, which is just a nightmare. Now I have some knowledge of pc's, and I plan to build a nice amd system. I would also like to try out some overclocking too. so if you guys think I can get away with a regular pci-e board, I think I will just settle for that. I just don't want to find out a few months from now, that SLI is almost needed, but like everything else with goes with computers, its hard to keep up to date.

Stevedub, absolutely not. I coundent stress it more. Its only utilized at top resolutions. Besides that, graphics arent all that much better, just lag is reduced. The new 512bit video cards are hitting the market this summer. Save your money for one of those. Im pretty positive they will only be PCI Express too. SLI is just something to spend money on. Not something thats really needed.

Sure hope not. SLI is a waste of money and is too buggy IMO. Only for those with deep pockets and want the best of everything. SLI makes us without a ton of money feel like "well if you ever want better than medium graphics you better cough up some big bucks" which is ridiculous.

I think you shouldn't waste your money with SLI honestly dude. Get a 6800GT or X800XL which is cheaper but relatively same performace (looks, now you ATI people cant gripe :p) and you will be good to go with great graphics.

Get a DFI or ABit socket 939 PCI-E board and you will be set for overclocking as well

Codeine said:
Stevedub, absolutely not. I coundent stress it more. Its only utilized at top resolutions. Besides that, graphics arent all that much better, just lag is reduced. The new 512bit video cards are hitting the market this summer. Save your money for one of those. Im pretty positive they will only be PCI Express too. SLI is just something to spend money on. Not something thats really needed.
Sli and 512 will be close together as in which better but if 512 can SLI do that then hahah

I would say that SLI is currently not worth it. I doubt that it will be needed ever. I might reccomend a SLI board, just in case it ever does actually offer some great performance, plus, in SLI boards you CAN have an ATI and nVidia card in at the same time (just not working together). Dont know why you'd need it, but the option is there.

Thanks guys for all the replys. Once again you guys are very helpful. I'ts just so hard to keep up with computer tech, since it changes so fast, but I think I'm going to go with the abit An8 board to start with, and add a 3200 winchester, since I see a lot of good reviews with that chip.

Actually if someone has some spare time, I'm looking to spend around $1000 for a new rig, if someone would like to try to put one together, or give any recamendations. Thanks in advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom