Dual monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do this with some of my crappy old lappies, but you have to buy the program. It basically turns your laptop into a second monitor, and I think you can use more than one laptop as an extra monitor. http://www.maxivista.com/

majistic, I think it would be good to have dual monitors for better productivity. So you'd be playing a game on one comp and sufing the internet on another, instead of having to constantly minimize the game.

@regulus well thats wat i though but wen i had mine setup through 1card the game played on my main monitor and the other one became usless as i couldt get the mouse to move over to it. thats why i thought it might be better to use 2 diferent cards, but i dont know if this will help at all.

how would it be able to differ between AGP and PCI and know which you wanted to play games on?
You go to your Display Properties then the Settings tab. You should see a little drop down box, click on that and you will see "Multiple monitors on Radeon 9000" and so on. Select which monitor and video card you want then check the box that says "Use this as my Primary monitor". Now that monitor and video card will be the ones used to play games.

the PCI would want to show exactly the same as the AGP
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

@regulus well thats wat i though but wen i had mine setup through 1card the game played on my main monitor and the other one became usless as i couldt get the mouse to move over to it. thats why i thought it might be better to use 2 diferent cards, but i dont know if this will help at all.
When you say "couldn't get the mouse to move over to it" being the other monitor, were you using one mouse? That's what is sounds like. Why don't you just get on of those keyboard/mouse splitter cables for 2 keyboards and mice?:confused:

Going back to the origional question...

waynejkruse10 said:
bugger, guess i thought it was easier than i thought. My GPU has 1x VGA, 1x DVI and 1x SVIDIO, so do i need a converter to convert the dvi to vga

Thats cool, then you can run 2 monitors off the one card no problem. Plug one monitor into the DVi and the other into the VGA. If you dont have a DVI monitor then just get an adapter - i think you get one with ATI cards anyway. - there is no need for a second graphics card.

majistic said:
Can someone tell me why you would want dual monitors ? It makes no sense to me.

Dual monitors allows you to extend your desktop over 2 screens, effectively making your screen twice as wide. So it allows you to multitask more effectively as you dont have to keep closing/minimising windows because you have 2 desktops so can run display 2 programs fully maximized at the same time

IntelUser101 said:
you guys are ALL noobies at a point. my videocard has 2 monitor plugins but u can get a video card and plug a monitor in that and plug the other in integrated videocard

Perhaps i dont understand you correctly but it sounds like you have a dual headed graphics card driving just the one monitor and the other being driven by the on board graphics... And you have the cheek to call everyone else noobies!!

i was only using one mouse, which is the whole point to of dual monitors. i would like to try with a pci card but i dont have any to use.

Thats cool, then you can run 2 monitors off the one card no problem. Plug one monitor into the DVi and the other into the VGA. If you dont have a DVI monitor then just get an adapter - i think you get one with ATI cards anyway. - there is no need for a second graphics card.

With my card, all i got is a svidio to composite video converter - thats it. Ill try and track a DVI-VGA converter down.....

I've got 3 monitors setup on a Radeon 9600XT AGP and a GeForce 4 MX-440 PCI. I also had my spare TV hooked up at one time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom