Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph4nt0m

Solid State Member
Alright, so I'm in the market for a new PC since the one I have now has some funkdified unfindable problem within it...long story short, my PC reboots w/o warning or provocation...which can be extremely frustrating when doing just about anything, let alone playing games.

So..since my tech guy cant figure out what the problem is, nor can two other people who run succesfull PC repair businesses who I payed to take a look at it, I figure I will find somewhere to buy a good, budget friendly gaming PC.

Any suggestions as to hardware, or maybe a good retailer or model to look for?

Post what you currently have, odds are you can salvage a good portion of it and save some cash. I'd hate to see you dump an entire system for what could just be an underpowered or failing PSU.

Yeah, I've learnt that building your own PC is the way to go but my computer knowledge extends to basically how to operate one, maintenance once its up and some limited knowledge of hardware...I wouldnt have any idea how to build one.

But, my current PC has..

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.24 GHz
512 MB of RAM
Maxtor 6Y160P0
Motherboard: Asus-A7V8X-X

Not sure if those are the specs you're looking for, like I said I'm not a very computer savvy person.

But if I were able to build a new PC, there is still a problem within this PC that seems to be a hardware problem as my old tech guy formatted the hard drive several times and has replaced the CPU (or is it PCU?) chip, the motherboard, and the memory.

I actually think the problem is either my hard drive or my motherboard, the old motherboard I had was exactly the same model that worked for two months before it started turning off without warning, then I got this new one and it hasnt ever worked.

Well, if you are in the market for a new comp, post your budget, and you'll get a bunch of responses on what to get.

By the way, your computer problem sounds like you are having trouble with a faulty PSU (power supply unit).

Well, since I dont have a tech guy anymore, how much would a good PSU cost and how hard would it be to install it?..I might give it a try then instead of attempting to rebuild my entire PC or purchasing a new one.

Anyway, my budget for a new PC would be about 1k-$1,500 and I need a good gaming PC.

It could be a PSU problem or it could be an overheating problem. Did you clean the dust off the fans?

Yeah, I've cleaned all the fans and monitered the PC temp which never goes over 114*F which is the core temp I think...been some time since I monitered it but from what I read that was normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom