geforce2 mx vs. geforce4 mx

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranfx

Solid State Member
hey, i heard that the geforce4 mx is worse than a geforce3. so does that mean that a geforce2 mx would be as good as a geforce4 mx? i'm wondering because i have a geforce2 mx 400 and want to know if it'd be good enough to handle doom 3(i heard you need at least a geforce4 mx to play it).
||
||
|| (summary)
\ /
\/

does a geforce2 mx give the same performance as a geforce4 mx?
would my geforce2 mx 400 be good enough to play doom 3?

you have to understand that the term MX on a nvidia card means that its less powerful than the "vanilla" unit of the same line. For example, the geforce 2 mx 400 (which i used to own) is less powerful than the geforce 2. and the geforce 2 is infintley less powerful than the geforce 4. the geforce 2 WILL NOT run doom 3. it lacks the right shaders. I suggest you get a new card, as the geforce 2 will not any new games (Far Cry, Doom 3, Half life 2...).

To summarize this, the geforce 2 mx400 wont run Doom 3, and it is much less powerful than the geforce 4 mx 400.

If you are still determined to try, go to www.activision.com and send a letter to their tech support asking them if it will work.

Just buy a new card though

I had a gforce 4mmx440, it ran doom 3 on 1024x768 lowest settings with a bit of choppage... its not too bad, but if ur seriously thinkin about playing those games u mite wana up the graphics card just a tad

Ive got friends who run doom on a geforce 4...just barely like VIII. Id suggest upgrading to at least a 9600XT if ur low on cash, but preferably a 6600GT or an X800XL (beautiful babies :) ) .

charles_scott said:
The geforce 2 mx400 with 64mb of ram plays halo on lowest settings fine...

Halo's engine is awesome, but its no match for Doom 3's engine. you also said "lowest settings." So if it can barely handle halo, how on earth will it handle Doom 3?

Im still using GeForce 4 MX440. Well, although quite out of date, but i can still plays a lots of games, such as online 3D, Doom3(lowest setting), HL2(lowest setting). The only problem is my ram~~~
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom