Computer Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BizarreC

Beta member
I have recently upgraded to an Athlon XP 2100+ with an MSI KT2 Motherboard. I have a Hercules Riva TNT 2 16MB video card. Now when I try to play Counter Strike or open a video file the computer freezes. I have tried many different versions of drivers from Nvidia. I have lowered the hardware acceleration in the display properties to fix this problem. I can now view video files, but am no longer able to play CS in opengl mode and without hardware acceleration Direct3D is not playable. Can anyone think of a better way to fix this. This was not an issue before the upgrade to the new motherboard and processor.

well i would expect incompatabilty like this when you mix a new mobo and CPU with a really, really old video card. 16MB video is really small. this gives you an excuse to buy a new video card.

this isn't a fix, i am suggesting the best option in your case.

I would like a new card

Right now I'm not in the postion to buy a new card. After all If I bought a new video card I would want it to be a close to top of the line one. So for a few months my incredibly old 16MB TNT 2 will have to do.

I appologize, I posted here before I realized this was more of a hardware problem and posted in the other section.

I have the latest version of DX installed. I have tried other versions all the way back to 8.1. I have tried older sets of drivers for the video card. The card is AGP. And finally I'm using Windows 2K.

Note: I have been able to temporarily rectify the situation by setting the hardware acceleration to a minimal level in the display settings panel. And using a the "software" setting in Half-Life.

were you ever able to play these 3D games with this riva 16MB card? because i would think 16MB is not enough memory to display the game correctly, which is why you could be having problems.

in software mode the game is using your CPU as the source to render the objects. that CPU is probably doing a better job than your video card would have with full hardware support i think.

just bear it out and wait until you can buy a new card. why do you have to buy top of the line? a fx5600 or ATI radeon 9600 would still be good. i don't think you need to spend more than $130 for a video card. here's a link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...talog=48&manufactory=1561&description=&page=2

Yes

Yes my 16mb card was enough to play half-life and the subsiquents mods. I was able to play in OpgenGL mode in 800X600 at 20 to 30 fps now I have to play in software mode and only get 15 to 20 fps at 800X600. At this rate I won't be able to bear out much longer the "software" version sucks compared to the "opengl" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom