windows me

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhsrcjh

In Runtime
Does windows me have dos that I can get into? I want to format the hard drive and reinstall everything. A reinstall over the me operating system there will not do what I want to. Is there a better way to do it? Also thought of going to xp but either way, I would like to wipe it all out first.

The computer was given to me by a friend. He has a new one and was having so much trouble out of it that he did not want to worry with it anymore. My computer has 98 and XP in it. To me, 98 is much more stable than XP. Xp is a lot faster but just does so many crazy things all the time. Sometimes it won't even start, sometimes just the blue screen, sometimes a lot of my software will not load, I have some hardware than I have the drivers for XP and it still won't work with Xp but will in 98. There are a lot more things but that is just a few.
I have never used ME before that is why I was wondering about it.
If I do a clean install, what about the drivers for the sound? I have disks for the monitor but not for the sound. It is a dell and has a recovery disk but it says on the disk that it does not contain any drivers.

xp is basically win2k pro in a more user friendly GUI meant for stupid computer illeterate people. the only thing i dislike about xp is all the wizards. it treats you like your some kind of idiot. when you install it it should ask you whether you want a wizard every 5 minutes or not. btw, if you're going to be reformatting off of a dos boot disc make sure it supports big drives. if you try dos 6 or anything like that it will only format 2gb. are you sure your friend didn't have some kind of disc that came with it? like utilities or something? like with dells they always come with utitilites where if you start em up they start with a command prompt. i saved my old dell utility disc for my new computer just so i could get large disc support and have a good command line

bandage_boy said:
xp is basically win2k pro in a more user friendly GUI meant for stupid computer illeterate people. the only thing i dislike about xp is all the wizards. it treats you like your some kind of idiot.

As a web developer, I've certainly found Windows 2000 to be more stable and faster than Windows XP - Standard or Professional.

I do not have win2k but I do have XP. All I want to do is get the Dell working right. It is not much good like it is. It just locks up a lot. It won't even open a word document but will open most anything else. It also locks up when on the net. I have reinstalled the operating system and all software and there is no change in it. It has a 20G hard drive, 384m ram and a P3 processor. The recycle bin on the desktop will not even work. It will work from windows explorer. I tried a new shortcut for it but that did not help any.
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the solution, but it entails reformatting (deleting everything from your hard disk) so back it all up before doing this.
----
Reboot - press whatever button you need to enter BIOS (Setup) - if you don't know, AS SOON AS the computer boots, press F1, F2, Insert, and Delete simultaneously.

Find the option in the BIOS that lists boot devices. Find the first boot device, and make sure that it is your primary CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-RW drive. If it isn't, change it to that.

Place your Windows XP CD in the primary CD drive.

Exit the BIOS, save changes, and reboot.

During the reboot, it will briefly display a message such as "Press any key to run Setup...". Press a key, and enter Windows XP setup. Follow the directions, reformat the drive in NTFS format, and reinstall Windows 2000.
------
That is the best, cheapest, easiest, and most definitive solution - a good reformat will often help Windows performance. Just keep in mind that you need to back up any files that are important and that you will have to reinstall everything that is presently on the computer.

Cheers.

imho, any windows os is fine if u know how to maintain it.
ie. organization, anti virus, spyware ect..

but personally i like winxp ONLY cuz of of the new sleek icons and start menu icon.

But i love the windows 2000 pro login part ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom