Case: Whatever w/o PSU $40

PSU: Thermaltake W0014 Silent Purepower 480W $60

Optical Dirve: LG DVD+/-RW 16X Drive, Beige, Model GWA-4161B - OEM $52

Mouse: Whatever $20

Keyboard: Whatever $30

Speakers: Logitech X-230 2.1 $35

Approx: $995

All from www.newegg.com

Let me suggest the following changes to Elbatrop1's suggestion. I like everything except the CPU and motherboard. I think they are far too expensive and would be severely bottlenecked by the video card when it comes to gaming. Here are my recommended changes:

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 3200+...$144
Motherboard- Biostar M7NCD Pro...$52
Video Card- eVGA GeForce 6600GT (AGP 8X)...$179.99

Before I get flamed, let me explain myself. I realize that my system is not 64 bit, however it would offer quite a bit more performance in games. The video card is far and away better, and also this motherboard has dual channel capability for the RAM. I can vouch for the quality of the motherboard because I have built a system with it for a friend. Also, my upgrades cost $375.99, and the cost for those parts of Elbatrop1's system are $384, so my idea actually saves money while offering a huge leap in performance.

...however the 6600GT seems to beat the 9800 Pro, which is roughly $50-$100 more.
Just to clarify, the cheapest 128MB 9800 Pro goes for $165, and the most expensive is $239. The cheapest 6600GT goes for $179, and the most expensive is $199.

The 6600GT is the better card though, not disputing that.

Edit -

Before I get flamed, let me explain myself. I realize that my system is not 64 bit, however it would offer quite a bit more performance in games. The video card is far and away better, and also this motherboard has dual channel capability for the RAM. I can vouch for the quality of the motherboard because I have built a system with it for a friend. Also, my upgrades cost $375.99, and the cost for those parts of Elbatrop1's system are $384, so my idea actually saves money while offering a huge leap in performance.
The Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ will easily blow apart the 3200+ Athlon XP in everything, this is a solid fact.

20mm said:
dj chris...that's i why i said nvm because i was thinking about the 6800...go back and reread.

I cant read this entire thread, but if that's what you said later on, it's ok to make mistakes.

BTW: The 6600GT is available in PCI-E and AGP variants.

gaara said:
The Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ will easily blow apart the 3200+ Athlon XP in everything, this is a solid fact.

Yes I agree,no doubt there, but we're on a $1000 budget and Athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+ cost more and require motherboards which cost more. Basically I think that even though my recommendation has a slower CPU, the video card is considerably better and should make for a much improved gaming experience.

PizzatheHut06 said:
Why are people suggesting PCI-E video cards? For one, the motherboard suggested has no PCI-E port. Secondly, a PCI-E port would require at least an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU, which would in turn require a more expensive motherboard. If he's building a comp for $1000, I think we should stick to AGP cards only.

The motherboard supports PCIE.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-530&depa=0

With a PCIE motherboard, it leaves a lot of room for upgrades later on. I think a PCIE mobo is best.

what MIGHT work..is download a copy of windows 2000 pro, xp home, or xp pro, but some might not boot so they will tell u where and if u should get it

IntelUser101 said:
what MIGHT work..is download a copy of windows 2000 pro, xp home, or xp pro, but some might not boot so they will tell u where and if u should get it

Uhhh, NO! stephen_s already made it clear that he didnt want to pirate Windows

IntelUser101 said:

S-M-R-T. No piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom