Budget card battle: 6600GT VS. X800 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel fan or mental asylum escapee, that's up to everyone to decide :p

Those benchmarks are abosulute BS that you find dale, yeah the x800XL beats out the 6600GT in almost everything, but those benchies are false

Now, that being said, the 6600GT is an 8 pipeline card, and the x800XL is a 16 pipeline card, so the two cannot be compared
exactly the same exact thing i said. you cant compare a card that has 8 pipes to one that has double. that is freakin rediculous! This whole freakin thread is stupid cause those benchies are false, the comparison is rediculous and the arguing over ATI and Nvidia is dumb. Ok seriously the ATi X800Xl is obviously better than the 6600GT but the 6600GT is cheaper and has less pipelines. But look at it this way, even though the 6600GT IS a cheaper card its pretty sad when its 16pipeline oponent cant even pwn it that bad. just goes to show you something.;)

That is a tough one beedubaya i allmost got the x800 pro also coming off the 9700 and 9800 pro being highly satisfide with them .But what really sold me on the 6800 Ultra was i new Nvidia was working on the drivers , it was a well known issue . I also had the Ti 4600 Ultra and the 5950 Ultra so i knew that Nvidia would get the Drivers tuned from past experience . Plus the 6800 line also supports PS 3.0 . ATI is just milking there old HW for every penny they can get Nvidia stepped into the future with somthing totally new . Allowing game programers to step into the future as well with PX 3.0 .Even tho ATI's top card may seem better than the 6800 Ultras in benchies or whatever i still wouldnt buy 1 .When they start supporting 3.0 ill look seriously into bying 1 :) .

Those benchmarks are abosulute BS that you find dale, yeah the x800XL beats out the 6600GT in almost everything, but those benchies are false
Can we please get off of the nVidia high horse for one second and examine the facts?

I'll agree that the benchmarks in that review have an unfair bias towards ATi in them. nVidia does not like to have AA cranked up very high, which they did in Half Life 2, and 3 out of 4 of the programs benched run using direct3D which ATi excels in. However, I highly doubt they are simply bullshit.

I did some looking around and there really aren't that many benchmarks with the x800XL, but the ones that I did find all agree with one another.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/x800xl/index.htm
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/printpage.php?id=353

Comments like "its pretty sad when its 16pipeline oponent cant even pwn it that bad" just make me chuckle at this point and time as not only does the x800XL perform considerably better than the 6600GT, it does considerably well against the 6800GT.

It was also nice in the latter review that they've even calculated a price/performance ratio in all the tested games, and guess which one wins?

Now please, please, please do not give me the argument that nVidia has dominated the market prior to the release of the x800XT, that may have been a relevant argument before the x800XT came out, but in all honesty, are you really going to avoid buying a better card based on the fact that its manufacturer wasn't exactly on the ball six months ago? If you want to try to pull that one I may as well rub the fact that it took nVidia a whole new generation to surpass ATi...

I'm not trying to pin the two against each other, that's been beaten to the ground too many times now, but many of you are twisting up the facts with your nVidia bias.

But once again, the 6600GT should not be compared to the x800XL due to the difference in quantity of pipelines, just as the x800 Pro should not be compared to the 6800GT for the same reason.

On a bit of an unrelated note though, it seems a bit interesting how the different companies seem to be mirroring Intel and AMD. AMD choose to change their pipeline architechture which is similar to ATi changing their memory interface, and Intel and nVidia are just pumping up bigger and badder clockspeeds. A rather interesting observation. ;)

gaara said:
But once again, the 6600GT should not be compared to the x800XL due to the difference in quantity of pipelines, just as the x800 Pro should not be compared to the 6800GT for the same reason.

That's what pisses beedubaya off so much. The X800 Pro was indeed meant to compete with the 6800GT. When released, they were both $400 cards, but the 6800GT destroyed the X800 Pro. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain about that.

PizzatheHut06 said:
That's what pisses beedubaya off so much. The X800 Pro was indeed meant to compete with the 6800GT. When released, they were both $400 cards, but the 6800GT destroyed the X800 Pro. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain about that.

Not only does the 6800 GT DESTROY the X800 Pro, but the 6600 GT gives it a run for its money as well. Thats what I'm pissed about.

Yes, but the x800 Pro is entirely different from the x800XL. Your experience with it is irrelevant in this discussion.

gaara said:
Yes, but the x800 Pro is entirely different from the x800XL. Your experience with it is irrelevant in this discussion.

beedubaya was responding to my statement made against your claim. You stated the the X800Pro and 6800GT cannot be compared, when infact they can be DIRECTLY compared.

Yeah, sure you can compare them, but what is it going to tell you? Of course a 16 pipeline card is going to perform superior to a 12 pipeline card, there's no point in comparing them and it's blantantly biased when a better comparison would be an x800XT.

It would be like benching an nVidia card and ATi using only Direct3D or only OpenGL powered graphics applications, sure you can do that, but it's biased and doesn't provide a fair comparison.

At the time when the x800 Pro and 6800GT were the cadillac cards of their manufacturers, the x800Pro was better compared to the 6800, the 6800GT was in a class of it's own and therefore dominated the market until the x800XT came along. I'm not disputing that fact for a second.

The same can be said with the 9800 Pro, it was in its own class at the time, now a fair comparison to it would be the 6600GT, which is the superior card.

And as I've said, the x800 Pro is irrelevant now since the release of the x800XL and x800XT. There is no point to looking back at the past.

the 6600GT should not be compared to the x800XL due to the difference in quantity of pipelines, just as the x800 Pro should not be compared to the 6800GT for the same reason.
Amen brother. Just like how people compare the X850XT PE with the 6800U....it's technically two completely different cards, much like whats being compared here.

Sooo, anyone else thinking this thread can be closed already?

::itchy closing finger is twitching::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom