System finally together, disapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreditSolutions

In Runtime
See sig. Finally got it up and running, despite a few annoying pitfalls with this board, but now it runs like a dream. Windows boots in 8 to 10 seconds, its amazing. However, im a little dissapointed at my 3D performance. The only game I found around here was Hitman 2: contracts so I loaded her up to see what this new rig could do. 1024x 768 max settings, it looked to be averaging 24 to 30fps. 800 x 600 max settings it flew (70 - 100 fps). Could have something to do with the fact that this game came bundled with an ATI card, but who knows.

I wont have futuremark scores for a while, still waiting on broadband internet, but my question is: Could a weak powersupply affect 3D performance? Still waiting on my fortron blue storm....

BTW, everything is stock. 200 HTT, 100mhx PCIe, the card itself is at 533mhz, 1.06ghz mem speed, and I double checked to make sure it was in PCIe 1

Is there a secret to getting better performance? Sorry for the long winded rant.

EDIT: On a side note, I just wanted to comment on how absolutley AMAZING the 64 bit proccessors are! Mine idles at 25*C with stock HSF and stock thermal pad, temps rise to only 33 - 35*C under load!!

Have you installed the graphics card's drivers including direct X 9C and the chipset drivers.

Trifid said:
Have you installed the graphics card's drivers including direct X 9C and the chipset drivers.

Yep. I dont know how recent they are though, Nvidia lost me after they stopped using the Detonator drivers.

Power could affect your graphics performance. If your running a lot of HD's then it could put a draw on the PSU. How many watts do you have (b/c your sig isn't showing up for me at all). And how many Hd's are you running?

I have a paltry 400w power supply (for now), but only one IDE optical drive and one SATA HDD.

Other than that, the only things drawing power are the motherboard itself (I hear NF4s are power hungry), 3 case fans, and a floppy drive.

My guess would be driver problem in that case. 400w is plenty of power for that setup. Check for drivers for your MOBO that may support PCI-e as well as drivers for the actual PCI-e graphics card.

He may have enough wattage but not enough AMP's. I have a 420watt Raidmax psu but it has only 13 amps on the 12v rail which isnt enough for anything that im running, even though im running my computer now, i still have periods of time where it slows down or completly crash's like in Halo.

I've got 18amps, which is low, but the power does not fluctuate under load much. I guess i'll wait until my fortron unit comes in and see.

18a for the +12v rail seems sufficient enough. If the card was being severely under powered I'd assume it would crash first and not just give you poor performance. Go to nvidia.com and get thier latest forceware 71.84 drivers, it increase performance for me by a bit.

About a 300 point increase in 3dmark05 just changing to them. If you're using the drivers with the card, these might help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom