File copy speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah sp2 burnt one of our home computers and just ripped up my dad's one at work. that would make some sense because we updated from sp1 to sp2 so that could make some sense.

My last post is somewhat unrelated. 133 is only the ATAPI standard...

This is the calculation that I'd assume would be right (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

7200rpm * (80sectors per track * 512 byte sectors) = ~288MBps

Regardless, you're limited to what your hard drive is doing while you're copying the file. Since you have very little memory, the pagefile is probably in constant use, meaning the hard drive is always working. The more working the hard drive does, the longer it takes to do other tasks.

My last post is somewhat unrelated. 133 is only the ATAPI standard...

This is the calculation that I'd assume would be right (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

7200rpm * (80sectors per track * 512 byte sectors) = ~288MBps

I think that doesn't really make sense. Even if it were true, the IDE controller wouldn't be able to handle those speeds.

The speed depends on the drives internal speeds, the heads etc. Most platters have 80 sectors AFAIK.

BTW, what's the difference between internal transfer rate and read/write speeds (MB/s)?

TheMajor said:
I think that doesn't really make sense. Even if it were true, the IDE controller wouldn't be able to handle those speeds.

The only way that wouldn't make sense is if you don't understand how a hard drive works. To my knowledge, that'd be the correct formula for figuring out how fast a hard drive can go.

Obviously IDE controllers wouldn't be able to handle it, the ATAPI standards are 133MBps max so it throttles it down to my understanding. SATA drives can do 150MBps at 7200rpm, SCSI can do 320MBps at 10000rpm, so it's not that far off. It's just limited by the controller.

The speed depends on the drives internal speeds, the heads etc. Most platters have 80 sectors AFAIK.

Hard drives have 80 sectors per track, and several tracks per platter.

TheMajor said:

BTW, what's the difference between internal transfer rate and read/write speeds (MB/s)?

Internal is how fast you can move stuff between folder A and B on the same drive

Read \ write speeds are the speeds that it can achieve drive to drive.

When I go to Device manager and look to my IDE controllers, I see that Primary IDE has transfer mode "PIO" but Secondary IDE has "Ultra DMA mode 2"
My Hard disk is connected to Primary IDE. Could it be the problem?
What if I connect Hard disk to Secondary IDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom