Cheapest & best quality 939Mobo & mem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak1976

Baseband Member
Am looking to do a first time build......... thinking of using the Athlon 64 3000 939, (as I have heard that it can be seriously o/c'd)
Looking for a cheap, but good mobo, was thinking of the Abit Av8-3rd Eye, K8t800, but is there anything cheaper that can offer the same sort of functions?

Also, which is better with the 64 cpu/mobo combo, one stick of 512 or 2 x 256 (and is there a real diff between pc2700, 3200 and 4000 considering I am not doing any serious gaming, just want a future proof PC.)

Cheers

I do recomend the 3rd eye bit, as I like to be able to keep an eye on my temps when playing games, on the uguru clock. And you can go to your pre set over clocks with it during a game (but isn't probally a good idea) but i like to be able to put it back to default if I didn't like the overclock during a game.

If you like that case, get that psu, and put it in the bin and buy a new one, something like Antec, but with more than 330watts, which was my mistake :(

You might as well make use of the dual channel memory so go with the 2X256.

If you are going to be doing alot of overclocking get the faster ram, as it would run at pc3200 (the fastest AMD's support right now) and it will enable you to have a higher overclock.

also have a look at this website: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/

edit: I believe venice cores are coming out very soon, you may want to wait for them.

Ok......... so what the heck is a Venice Core?

And a 500w PSU be more suitable then?

I'm not planning on overclocking until it starts to struggle with stuff as time goes by......... if the difference between 2700 and 3200 isn't noticeable I'll just get the cheaper!

Venice will be replacing the winchester cores.

A 550w cheap psu would not be much better. It is worth spending money on the psu, especially if you are going to overclock.

when you overclock past 200htt it raises the speed of the memory (if you have pc3200 it would be 200X2=400=DDR400) with a faster memory it will be underclocked to 3200 speeds, and would allow you to overclock further.

Ok, thanks.
So is the Winchester a dual core? As I assume the Venice is?

Is there an idiots guide to computers on this forum somewhere....... cause I don't understand half the terms you guys use....... htt????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom