AGP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman420

Baseband Member
Ok, so back when I was naive and thought that anything that fits into the slot works, I installed an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in an AGP 4x slot on my mobo, not to mention my power supply was 250W when the card needs at least 300W. It would work until I tried playing any game such as Half-Life, then it would crash and the screen would turn into a bunch of different colors. I stopped using it after trying for about another 4 reboots and attempts at Half-Life and Battlefield 1942. Now I have a mobo that supports AGP 8x, and a 480W PSU. So I'm wondering:

Has my video card been damaged from using it in the AGP 4x slot with the low power PSU, or will it be top-shape when I use it on the new mobo?

low power psu, i dunno, but usually it only gets damaged with a huge power surge, not a small one (logically, this is how it works)

also, AGP8x cards are backwards compatible with the 4x slot, so it doesn't matter and has no effect on the card (ur 9800 pro is really 4x/8x compatible, it's just advertised 8x so it looks better)

Maybe the graphic card's driver is corrupted. Try uninstall it and reinstall again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom