Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - What Hard Drive ?!

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
ekÆsine
Wizard Techie

mikesgroovin, that's very contradictory to what tech4hire said. i think you guys have successfully confused this guy. either way i think we agree that more cache is better, opt for the 8MB cache maxtor rather than the 2MB maxtor. so that really narrows your choice to 2 drives.

maxtors seem to have faster access times than western digital drives. although most westwern digital are IDE 100MB/sec and mators usually are 133MB/sec, i've heard the WD scsi drives run pretty damn fast. i think those are called raptor drives?

in my opinion whichever you buy, make backups of your data. by backup i mean which files would make you go insane if you lost them? save those using different file versions if major changes are made to the file.

for example lets say you edit text documents or images. and you regularly update your backups and there was a major change to an image file. if you had backed up this image file with the major changes to it there is no way to get a version of that image before the changes were made.

this can also be a pain if you made a major change to a document and lost that file and your backup was too old and didn't have the changes in them. so making different versions of the same file can help

but thats hypocritical of me to say that i guess since i just backup the bare minimum to save time and because i'm lazy

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.