newbie wanting to speed up pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick25

Baseband Member
Hi,

My pc is running very slow at the minute and i was wondering if someone could suggest some steps i could take to speed it up?
(someone mentioned msconfig but if means nothing to me!)
thanks in advance for any suggestions guys.

Do a virus scan, spyware scan, adware scan, and also defragment your hard drive. A lot of times, slowness is caused by those things. If you have trouble with what I suggest, just post back :)

Before you can troubleshoot the "speed" of your machine you need to post your specs. In all actuallity this issue could be caused by a wide number of things.

OK, enough of the techno babble. I think it has all gone over Maverick's head (except for Elbatrop1 - good advice).

MSCONFIG - Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig", hit Enter, click the Startup tab. If you are running Windows XP, uncheck EVERYTHING except your:
*Firewall
*Antivirus
*Broadband (if you have it)
*Any program that you absolutely need (graphics drivers, mouse drivers, etc.)

Click Apply, click OK, choose Restart. Once your comp restarts a gray box (System Configuration Utility) will pop up. Just click the checkmark for "Don't run this on startup" (or something like that), click OK.

There are a million way to speed up xp, but the best way is
to disable all of xp tracking features (half of xp's resources is being used to track what you are doing) you can do it manually, but that is too many steps to explain, so get evidence eliminator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom