Hooking up harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaveli_786

Solid State Member
I'm wondering if one was to connect two hard drives how efficiently they workd work together and where can i get a good hard drive cheap.

so you want to connect two hard drives to what? the same ide connector? or the same computer?

you can have up to four devies, let it be hard drives or cd-roms in one computer, just connect the sceond connecter on your ide cable, that flat ribbon type cable you have conected to you hard drive already, and it shouldwork fine, but make sure that you set the jumper settings on the hard drive as slave.

if you do not know what the settings are, they should be marked on the drive itself.

hope that helps

Thanks man...

I have an old PC with a decent spec but instead of buying a whole new PC im thinking about hooking up a second hard drive, attaching some extra memory and a second CPU to make something decent quite powerful..

Im connecting this all to the same computer in the hope of a somewhat supercomputer..

This brings me to the question... what are the limits on connecting together two CPU's.. Thanks again!

Makaveli_786 said:
Thanks man...

I have an old PC with a decent spec but instead of buying a whole new PC im thinking about hooking up a second hard drive, attaching some extra memory and a second CPU to make something decent quite powerful..

Unles you have dual processors, you can only replace the CPU.:cool:

Concerning the 2nd HDD, chesman is correct. You may have to play around with the jumper setting on the back of the drive but just keep in mind that you aren't going to "blow up" the PC if you get it wrong the first time. The HD simply wont work or be recognized. Just power off the pc and try another setting.

As for RAID........dont worry about that as you may or may not have a RAID controller on your motherboard.....either way you are just simply adding a 2nd hard drive for, most likely, more space.......don't need a RAID configuration.

As far as upgrading, make sure you research the specs of your current motherboard as you need to follow certain specs for memory or maybe a new processor, etc.

-Michael

Go to tigerdirect.com or pricewatch.com

Any recommendations on where I can find a dual processor in that case... and its not too complicated adding CPU's is it?

Makaveli_786 you should forget about dual procs. your machine does not support it neither could you afford it or figure out how to build one. no, you will not find a dual proc in your case.

dual proccessor can only be utilized in a dual processor motherboard. they are used for fault tolerance in a server environment or for more efficient multitasking environments...or for just showing off to your friends.

also forget about raid also, roughly the same thing applies to RAID configurations.

you can add another hard drive to your computer if you need more space to store data on. doing that will not increase your computer's speed by as much as you are expecting.

in your situstion, if you want faster computer you will have to buy another computer. you have little choices for upgrading that would make much difference in computer speed. it's as simple as that.

How about I hook up two hard drives, replace the CPU and add some memory... sound good and most importantly possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom