Spontaneous Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
thomprice said:
Just tried it, but no difference.

You mean after booting from the CD and repairing windows you still are unable to log in ?

Unplug all none critical components and boot, see what happens. Because XP is Plug 'n' Play, it shouldn't cause too many problems for you.

It should also aid in finding out if its hardware or software related.

Pull out your power supply and try a different one, I believe the problem may be weak or highly fluctuacting rails.

I dont know if this will work, it s worth a shot. Open your case and look for the small wires that connect to your mobo from the restart button. Take it off, clean it, start the PC with out it. If that doesn't work, I DONT KNOW WHAT WILL!!! lol

Catbert said:
You mean after booting from the CD and repairing windows you still are unable to log in ?

Unplug all none critical components and boot, see what happens. Because XP is Plug 'n' Play, it shouldn't cause too many problems for you.

It should also aid in finding out if its hardware or software related.
yes, that is what I mean. I have taken out all non critical compontnts. I have tried all versions of windows except 3.0 and 2000. 95 works, but the components of the computer aren't compatible.

gaara said:
Pull out your power supply and try a different one, I believe the problem may be weak or highly fluctuacting rails.
As I mentioned, I have already changed the power supply for a new (and more powerful) one. The voltage is very stable.

Tuskatappaja said:
Is it possible for you to forget windows and start using linux?
everything is possible, but the idea is to have a computer compatible with the other computers on my network, on which I don't have to spend money for new programs, etc. I don't think that it is a software problem, because I've tried 3 versions of windows that don't work.

desiboi said:
I dont know if this will work, it s worth a shot. Open your case and look for the small wires that connect to your mobo from the restart button. Take it off, clean it, start the PC with out it. If that doesn't work, I DONT KNOW WHAT WILL!!! lol
I took off the power switch and the reset switch, but no difference.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Did you try underclocking it in bios like i said? Lower the FSB to 150
You are absoletely right! Taking the speed down to 566Mhz from 850 makes it work perfectly with ME. I could even get it to run at 650. I put a larger fan on and reapplied the thermal paste between the PCU and the heat sink. But that made no difference. It still wouldn't run at its designated speed of 850.

I got everything loaded and the last thing that I had to load was the PC TV, which is the whole purpose of this computer: so that I can have internet and a tv in my tiny room. Then I find out that the PC TV is not compatible with ME.

So I formated again and loaded XP. I was able to get it installed running the processor at 566, which is the lowest speed I can make it go, but it wasn't exactly stable. Now that I have updated with SP2 and put the antivirus software on, I can't even get past searching for a boot record and it overheats.

Is this CPU ready for the trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom