Geforce FX 5200 - is it evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sven

Beta member
I have just bought a Geforce 5200 FX 128mb graphics card and after installation whenever I run my PC it freezes and I have to manually reboot.

I have downloaded latest drivers for my motherboard as well as the graphics card itself but still no luck. I'm all out of ideas and need some help - pleeeease!

I'm using:

Athlon XP 1700+
524mb PC133 RAM
SiS 735 motherboard with latest drivers
300w power
Win XP Professional with Direct 9x

That could be a tuff one. Could be the card , could be the driver. See how it runs in safe mode. where does it freeze. Does it freeze in games or after acouple mins. Also do you have another computer around to try it in. What OS are you using.

I'm using Win XP Pro...

It seems to freeze regardless of what I do, even if I don't touch PC. Games freeze it up straight away.

Since last post I have rolled back all old AGP and Geforce drivers and started from scratch and added new beta driver from NVIDIA (52.14)...3 minutes so far and no freeze. Maybe it's fixed?

I have heard all kinds of problems with different detonators. They once did a push here at work and updated over 1000 computers with the newest driver. By the end of the day they were rolling back every ones. Caused lots of problem.

Use the 45.23 drivers instead...

Check with a hardware monitor (e.g. MBM, HMonitor, etc.) that your motherboard, AGP are getting sufficient voltage.

24 hours on...

Played Counter Strike for 3 hours in OpenGl with Geforce 5200 no problems. However, PC is back to freezing and crashing again this morning so have opted to return it and spend the money on a nice new Radeon 9200 128mb instead.

I had the EXACT same problem. It's your power supply. It's only 300w, I had the same problem until I got a bigger power supply. I've never had a problem since. And I wouldn't suggest ATI, I've had a terrible time with them.

Did you make sure that you disabled integrated graphics (if you have them)? What kind of computer are you running? Did you disable the Windows drivers for the integrated graphics as well (again, if you have them)? I had an eMachines that was donated to my design studio (certainly not MY computer :D ), and it didn't have any BIOS option to disable onboard video, so I had to boot in Safe Mode and disable the drivers that Windows had installed for integrated graphics.

Btw, I'm using a FX 5200 with no problems. I really like it because it is a relatively decent card that has dual-VGA support built in!

Geforce flicker

My computer loads up and everything, but after about 3 minutes it starts to flicker any time I go into something. I am running Windows XP, GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, AMD 2500, with a Shuttle AN-35 board. I have downloaded the latest drivers and installed a new 300 W power supply, is that big enough for this card? Any step by step help would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom