Is this performance ok? (regarding CS:S Performance test)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorruptAssassin

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Just thought id post to ask if my rig is performing ok, as ive seen some crazy scores in the CS:S performance test.

Ok, my specs are:

AMD 2600+ stock
1 GIG PC2700 RAM
128MB Geforce 6600GT -> 525/1000
40GB Hard Drive
AC97 Onboard Sound
Gigabyte GA-7VT600L (KT600 Motherboard)

In the test, i get 78FPS - 80 HIGH SETTINGS (eg, High Detail everything, 6x AA, 8x AF, no VSYNCH, Reflect All)

How is this coping? Is this normall? I just wanna make sure this thing is performing up to scratch.....

Cheers

Sounds good to me. FPS could be a little higher if your using the 6600GT At thoese clockspeeds, but not much higher.

thanks for that ApM, just did a 3DMark03, and got around 7100. I think its my processor that is holding me back a bit (noticed you have a 3500+ 64 bit processor ;)), that, plus it does tend to overheat a bit. When i was running the nature test, the alarm went off, indicating that the processor is running at 70 degree's C. Not good i know, but ive had it running at that temp. in other games, etc, and it seems fine. Ive tried everything to get the temps down, from more case fans, to a CoolerMaster Jet 7+, but nothing seems to get it down. Right now i have the stock cooler, im waiting to buy a Aero7 Lite...

Games run fine, although I sometimes believe im not getting the performance that others are experiencing from similar systems... Am i?

It looks to me that your CPU is holding you back but then again I recently upgraded my P4 2.6 to what I have now and I only gained around 100more ponits in 3DMark03 that was overall, maybe it is the new drivers on my grahpic's card could have down-graded my score, I don't know, Anyways stock cooling on a AMD not the best heatskin :) but if your going for a new heatskin I wouldn't advise the CoolMaster Jet Series from reviews they are all looks and noise thats it, generally thermalright & thermaltake are the best heatskin manufacters but there are others -

here check this out: http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index15.asp - includes alot of heatskins temps, pics etc.

This is the heatskin I'am currently using: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1043/

Yeah it does seem you are lacking in proformance from simlar systems... but not by alot though.

That's about right, those are some higher speeds on the card. Of course you should realize and ATI card will beat out a nvidia on CS

6xAA wont run on the 6600GT's i believe, and it reverts to 0

On those kinda settings, i was getting 120 on a processor at 3800+ speeds

I don't believe the GeForce 6 series can do 6x AA. I remember this was an argument for the X800 back when the 6800 GT first came out. You should be higher than 80 fps. I get around 135 fps on the stress test. CSS is very CPU and memory intensive, so upgrading your processor and RAM will help out majorly.

Sounds good to me. FPS could be a little higher if your using the 6600GT At thoese clockspeeds, but not much higher
I believe it's the 333FSB RAM that's holding him back a little in this case. His 6600GT has a higher core and memory than most. 500/900 is what mine came as and his is showing 525/1000

6xAA wont run on the 6600GT's i believe, and it reverts to 0
Nah it can run it...just not good haha. There's an 'anomaly' with the 6600GTs where if you try and put massive settings on 1600x1200 it will then knock the AA down I believe, but that's the only instance I know of of it happening.

I know that my card can effectively run 12x AA. I read an article on the temporal anti-aliasing feature and it was very informative. I usually get around 60-70 fps with temporal aa 6x which is effectively 12x aa and it gives a very clear picture. Of course these fps are on AAO which is probably in no way comparable to CS or other games.
And that's with all uber-high settings, 1600X1200 resolution, 16X AF, ultra high textures, 256mb cache size, geometry instancing, etc.

However I don't know if this works on other cards or if it is disabled. I don't see why they would let you select 6X aa if the card wouldn't support it or it would just take it off without telling you. If you want though you can link me to the stress test and I can run it, if you want to see how your card scratches up to mine. Yes, obviously mine would win, but it would be conparison nonetheless.

lol a pointless comparison. About all that will accomplish is you saying 'YEAH MY PWNS YOURS'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom