$1000 Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen_s

Baseband Member
I am going to get a gaming computer but I only have $1000 to spend. I will need everything (computer, monitor, windows, etc.).
Would you suggest building it or buying it? What motherboard, processor, graphics card, and ram would you suggest?

For motherboard, processor and gfx card

DFI Lanparty Nforce 4 (Ultra or SLI, depending if you want SLI for the future)

AMD 3200+ whinchester, and a 3500+ if you have leftpver money

Geforce 6800GT, PCI-E. Evga is a good brand.

Oh yeah, buy the gear at newegg.com

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 Newcastle Core
DFI Lan-Party UT nForce4 Ultra-D Motherboard
G.Skill Dual Channel Kit 2x512MB PC3200

I see two options for your video card, if your GPU budget is smaller (around $200), you will want a GeForce 6600GT. If you wish to devote more cash to the CPU and get a high end competitive card that has a good price, you will want the Radeon x800XL ($300-$400).

DJ-CHRIS said:
For motherboard, processor and gfx card

DFI Lanparty Nforce 4 (Ultra or SLI, depending if you want SLI for the future)

AMD 3200+ whinchester, and a 3500+ if you have leftpver money

Geforce 6800GT, PCI-E. Evga is a good brand.

Oh yeah, buy the gear at newegg.com

There is no way he will be able to afford all of that with $1000 bucks including the monitor and everything else. Click here for an article from Tom's Hardware in which a kid built a gaming computer for under $1000 dollars, including the monitor and all. That guide should help you quite a bit.

Do not get the DFI unless you know your way around the bios. I'd go with Abit or Asus personally.

Also, do not waste money on SLI

Thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking about buying a full system from Best Buy with an Athlon 64 3300+, 512mb of ram, and a monitor for about $650 and adding a graphics card. Would this be a bad idea and why?

A) You'll get exactly what you need
B) It will be cheaper

The only advantage of buying prefab systems is that the moniters are often provided at cost when bundled with the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom