Compatibility between cd rom and hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipe0876

Solid State Member
hi ye guys
basically i have a old old pc here that i want to install a new OS on but a guy that got to see it before me has done somthing to it and left it once he was called he said it needs formatted and reinstall. But when i put the cd rom in for win xp pro i just kept getting stop error as soon as it had loaded up the drivers. So i couldnt get it formated thinking it must be the HDD i took it out put it on mine and managed to format and install on it win xp pro. i put it back in to the pc and it still wont accept the cd rom with it at same time if they r both in it just sits there no visual no nothing if u take the cd rom out itll start up but will only get so far and then restart so im totally lost only thing i can get to is the bios

Set the hard drive on IDE 1 as master, CD rom drive on IDE 2 as master. This is assuming you have the CD rom drive configured as a slave device.

and when i say cd rom i mean the hardware not a disc sittin in the drive. the 2 components are conflicting and i dunno y and windows will not load. But it will on another pc if i was to remove the hdd and place it in another

ok the only other thing i can tell u is if i pull the ide out of mobo from cd rom and start up it goes till the point where it says disk boot failure insert boot disc press enter if i put the cd rom ide back in the computer does turn on but does notting absolutely notting if i put the ide and cd rom on same ide will i put the cd rom to slave

It sounds like you are getting the cables mixed up.

On your motherboard there are two IDE controllers.

From the "primary IDE" connector on your mobo, connect
your hard drive only. Set your hard drive to master. Dont
put your cdrom on the same cable.

On your motherboard, find the "Secondary IDE" connector.
Put your cdrom on the "Secondary IDE" connector and set
your cdrom as master.

Check your BIOS and make sure everything is recognized
correctly and the boot sequence is correct.

yup thats all done but the problem is is that it wont give me anything once that is done no screen no nothing when the cd rom is connected wether it be on a seperate or same ide channel if its off that well then itll start up but i think its cause its that old that i might have to use a bootdisk floppy instead of cd rom itsd a p 2 like should be thrown in the street but no mater will try win 98 boot disk format if i can and install 98 version 2 will let u know if it works

yea i reckon the pc cannot boot from cd rom and i installed the os on another pc and tried but it wont work i reckon like i said above its just a old pc and doesnt recognise all that shit all has to be done by floppy and so on

here guys im running a 240 watt power supply i live in great britian but i wanna move the pc to belgium so i just set the psu to 230 volts which is belgium and a new power lead to suit the socket and im fine but my monitor has its own psu how will that work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom