Need to Upgrade old PC. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaselg

Beta member
Hello Everyone!

I got an old PC that I'd like to Upgrade, it's a Pentium 566Mhz I believe with 256MB of RAM. basically what I want to do is get a new (Strong) processor, something that runs at 1800Mhz or so, and a New Graphic card, and possibly upgrade the RAM to 512.

do you guys think that's possible (and will it make the PC more robust), or do i run the risk of completly ruining the computer and wasting money while doing it?

I would really really appreciate your help on this!

Do you want to use your existing hardware? Or, do you want to start from scratch? Also let us know what kind of budget you have.

You will be replacing the motherboard and CPU for sure, the ram, the power supply most likely, almost a new PC.

Well, I want to use my current hardware, Budget is pretty tight that's why Im not thinking about buying a new computer...

after looking at the prices, I might go for the AMD Duron 1800 S-A, 1,80GHz, 64KB, 266MHz FSB

cheers

You cant just take that CPU and plug it into the slot where your Pentium is. If it is a Pentium II, then maybe you could get a PIII and upgrade that way. I think the highest frequency you could get a PIII was 1GHz(could be wrong).

if it were me, i'd buy a cheap socket 478 mobo and slap a 2.4gig celeron in. Probably looking at about 200 bucks right there.

To be honest you'd be better off buying a new computer rather than upgrading. It would probably be a better investment in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom