Actual CPU frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
CreditSolutions said:
Yea, but the bios will not automatically adjust FSB to match new memory frequency. Or will it?

Yes, it will automatically adjust the FSB and memory clocks.

So if he's careful he can just overclock the memory to PC3200 speeds? Or would that big an overclock damage the RAM?

Well, overclocking PC2700 to PC3200 speeds is bad news in my opinion... That PC would be terribly unstable.

It would highly depend on whether he has adequate cooling, the quality of the memory, and whether his motherboard even supports it or not. For all I know, overclocking may be locked out completely from the BIOS. Also, overclocking the memory that much would decrease its lifespan by at LEAST 50%. Even though it's only 20 megahertz, that's still a lot for such a tempermental piece of electronics.

I don't know the manufacturer of the computer, but I know that Dell uses shoddy RAM in their machines. For instance, my parents have an Intel Pentium IV with 800 FSB with PC2700 RAM. This is a marketing ploy by Dell because they can advertise that the computer has 512 MB of RAM, and the average consumer thinks "Wow, 512 RAM is great". They don't think to check RAM speeds.

Since his computer is pre-built and uses PC2700 RAM with an 800 FSB processor, I wouldn't recommend overclocking the memory. If the manufacturer put in PC2700 memory in the first place, chances are it is not very high quality and would be EXTREMELY unstable if overclocked.

Chances are since 2700 RAM is just as expensive as 3200 to make basicly, that it's just broken 3200 Ram

I just realized that I already HAVE PC3200 RAM ...

Sisoft Sandra 2004 says:

Memory module 1 - 256MB 8x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-344-650 (CL3 up to 200MHz) (CL2.5 up to 167 MHz)

And about chipset:
Model - Intel Corporation 82845MP Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (B0-step)
Bus(es) - ISA AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
FSB Speed - 4x 170MHz (680MHz data rate)
Maximum FSB Speed/Max Memory Speed - 4x 100MHz/2x 133MHz

Any ideas why do I still have 2.6GHz CPU frequency instead of 3.0GHz?

i did contribute something usefull caseyc :
"also check to see what the system clock is running at. as the 'clock multiplier multiplied by the system clock equals the cpu frequency' ".

i would not have posted it if i could not contribute.

maybe your CPU is not getting enough voltage for it to run at its full speed. any comment on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom