Actual CPU frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
caseyc said:
If you use a stick of PC3200 and PC2700 you'll be limited to the PC2700. If you run 2 sticks of 512MB PC3200 in dual channel, you'll have optimum performance

i thought only intel 775 sockets could run dual chanel if i'm not misstaken.

oh really...hmm then does that mean you need a mobo that can run dual chanel though?

My socket 478 is running dual channel.

If you bought that computer pre-made then it looks like the wrong RAM has been installed. Maybe you can talk to the manufacturer about it. After all, it was probably advertised to run at 3Ghz. Maybe the warranty will cover it.

caseyc said:
It's a configuration in the BIOS that lets you set the memory to make up for the loss by comparing it to the FSB speeds.

I didn't suggest it simply because you mentioned that you didn't want to mess with frequencies, etc. It's default is 1:1 (FSB runs at same frequency as memory), but you can change it as you like.

If he bought faster memory, wouldn't he have to tweak his FSB a little bit to get the desired clock speed anyways?

Nope, because his FSB is limited to his memory speed, adn right now his memory clock speed is PC2700, or 172MHz. If he gets PC3200, his memory clock speed will then be 200MHz, which is where his FSB should be. FSBxMultiplier=Speed. 200x15 = 3000MHz.

If he were to increase the FSB to 200 would he then be overclocking the memory?

Just a thought.

His FSB is supposed to be at 200MHz. That's what is regular. Since his memory is slow, it's underclocking his FSB.

But yes, if he increased the FSB the memory would try to match it and be overclocked. Hence why he should get PC3200 memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom