Printer Offline or Unavailable... Pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestbassman

Beta member
Have a small client that uses, in a workgroup, 3 shared computers. Windows 2K pro, Win 98 and Win 95. Win2K machine shares a printer. Both 98 and 95 machines connect to the printer or used to connect to the printer. Installed DSL and a few days later printer on 95 and 98 showing up as "Offline". I can ping the 2000 machine, access shared folders and files but cannot print. Also unable to browse NN... Yes.. I did have a fire wall attached but have removed it during testing and I still have same results... Also removed DSL connection and still same result. ANY suggestions would be loved and treated dearly..

Cheers,

Let me get this right,,, have you set the printers to be shared on the 2000 machine,, as a print server,, if so,, then to connect these printers you browse through NN and find the machine go to the printer and right click and choose Install,,

However, since the DSL,, the printer is now unavailable, and you can no longer access via the NN?? So you have removed fire walls, and attempted to correct the situation by removing the DSL,, printers still dont work,,,

Question: what make of printer are we dealing with?

Question: How did you set up your Shared Network?

Question: How are machines receiving an IP address?

Question: How have you provided for DNS for the 2K machine?

It sounds as though they have lost their connection due to the install of the Internet,, not a bad thing and usually a quick fix,,
just need a bit more insight,,

Offhand , I would say delete the printers and reinstall,, however that will not work until you get the NN issue resolved, which I think leans towards an IP issue, and a Subnet issue,, however, I would like to hear how you are sharing the internet..

cheers,

Thanx for the quick reply...

Printer is an Epson Dot Matrix... used to print receipts via cash drawer.

Shared network: Workgroup with File and print sharing installed on 95 and 98.
IP using 1.1.1.x with 255.255.255.0 SM
Not sharing internet connection.. DSL modem connected (now) directly to Win2k machine via usb port and is the only machine connected to internet. Have done tracert from win2k, jumps directly to 98 and 95.
Win2k connected internally via NIC which is plugged into hub. The 98 and 95 machines also plugged into hub. I can ping win2k machine, I can access files located in shared directories. Can add new shares and map to them using IP or UNC. Everyone talks to everyone except for the printer... I have tried adding a new printer but instead of browsing I manually add \\Server\Printrname.. no dice.. tried using IP \\1.1.1.3\Printrname.. no dice. MasterBrowser is win2k machine..
No internal DNS or WINS needed or installed.
any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom