Somethings gotta be fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankg

Solid State Member
Ok heres the story:
Around christmas I ordered a bunch of parts to build my own custom computer, LGA755 PCI express mobo, 3.4ghz processor, Saphire ATI radeon x800 256MB DDR3 video card, 160gb HD, 1gb DDR2 533, abit AA8 duramax motherboard.

Now I have never had a computer that generates so much heat and I made the mistake of going with air cooling and buying a giant friggen heatsink (the thermaltake tower 112). Im too intimidated by it to install myself so I took it in to the shop and got it back in a few days and it worked great.

Now about a week ago at 40% load my CPU was getting to 65c, I decided I needed better cooling and I ordered the Thermaltake Bigwater Liquid Cooling Kit. A day goes by, I'm still playing my computer while I wait for the cooling kit to be delivered. I accidently bumped my chair into the table that the computer sits on and all of a sudden it turns off and gives 3 beeps, it tries to turn on again but immedietly turns off and gives me another 3 beeps then it did it a 3rd time so I pulled the plug.

Now I'm hoping that the heatsink just came loose so I used the crappy computer while I awaited the liquid cooling kit to be delivered. I finally got it this morning, I take my computer apart and reinstall everything, replacing the tower112 with the Bigwater kit. I turn it on and it sits there about 3 seconds nothing on screen then suddenly I get rapid beeping(turning it off and turning it back on didnt change anything). Well I unplugged it and took it back to the worktable and uninstalled the liquid cooling kit(at this point I spilled some coolant in the computer, since there was no power going through im hoping that all I need to do is let it dry out?). I'm thinking the CPU has gotta be fried?

If it's beeping, it's telling you whats wrong.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

There's a list of beep codes for an award BIOS. Other brands of BIOS's are over to your left. I couldn't tell you what BIOS yours is though. Go to manufacturer website, find your board and see if you can locate a BIOS brand name

EDIT: BTW It sounds like the shop you took it to, did a crappy job and putting on the heatsink. Half the time those places rush it on there without consideration of how to properly apply it..no way that thing should have been hitting 65C with that heatsink. Hell, go back and complain to em, say THEY screwed it up cause it sure as hell sounds like they did.

When I took mine to a store way back when I didn't know anything, the moron put thermal grease, a GLOB of it mind you on my CPU core, when I was using a stock heatsink.....stock heatsinks thermal pad + extra grease = NO NO, but this moron obviously didn't see that...so I'm assuming they messed up

Yeah, the beeps tell alot. Mine was beeping once, witch ment RAM. How hard did your chair hit the computer?

Its a pheonix bios, I guess I need to find the post code which requires setting everything up so ill get back with an update.

Codeine said:
Yeah, the beeps tell alot. Mine was beeping once, witch ment RAM. How hard did your chair hit the computer?
not very hard at all, I was suprised that such a little bump caused my comp to go crazy.

not very hard at all, I was suprised that such a little bump caused my comp to go crazy.
Man I've simply moved hardware before and next thing I knew, my computer was giving me blue screens up the arse...comps are weird and fickle sometimes like that.

There's a Phoenix BIOS beep codes link on the left of the website I linked you.

Ok update, I got it all set up again and my post code is 96

Clear huge ES segment register

or

Scan for ROM BIOS extensions

Anyone know what I should do with that?

the Pheonix and Award Bios is the same company now i think...
Oh yeah, believe you're right actually. Come to think of it pretty sure mine says Award/Phoenix at the top.

Ok update, I got it all set up again and my post code is 96

Clear huge ES segment register

or

Scan for ROM BIOS extensions

Anyone know what I should do with that?
Not a clue...in my experience beep codes are easier to troubleshoot than post codes

Nubius said:
Oh yeah, believe you're right actually. Come to think of it pretty sure mine says Award/Phoenix at the top.

Not a clue...in my experience beep codes are easier to troubleshoot than post codes
Ok well I listened for the beep code but all it is is the same 2 tones over and over again, and it doesnt stop, in fact I turned off the power supply switch and it was still beeping, then I pulled the plug and it was still beeping:/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom