Upgrade the Comp: Findings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbatrop1

Memberbot
I thought I would make a post about my recent upgrades in case someone was considering upgrading their computer, and wanted to see some results.

At first, I bought 1G of RAM to add to my existing 512MB. With 1.5GB of RAM, my 3Dmark03 score went from 998 to 1110. I noticed that because the new RAM had a lower latency than the old stuff, all of the RAM ended up underclocking itself. I took out the old 512MB, and my 3dmark stayed about the same.

Then came overclocking. I overclocked my 2.6GHz P4 up to about 3.05 GHz (which bumped my FSB above 800MHz). My idle temps during the overclock (in Windows) were around 37C. This screwed up my ratio of my FSB to my RAM frequency, and my RAM underclocked again. I benchmarked again, with little or no difference. Because of the lack of differnce, I set the CPU back to normal speed.

After that I got my ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB. This is what made the biggest difference. From a 3Dmark score of 1110, I went to 5740. Battlefield: Vietnam never looked so good, I changed all of the video settings in the game to the max, and still get high fps. I can play Doom 3 and FarCry with high settings and everything runs perfectly.

Hopefully my upgrading/overclocking story helps someone out that is thinking about doing either:)

Before Specs:
P4 2.6 GHz (800MHz FSB)
Stock heatsink/fan
Asus P4C800-D
512 MB RAM CL:3.0
Sapphire Radeon 9200
120GB Maxtor HDD 8MB cache
3DMark03: 998

After Specs:
Now in sig!

If you guys have any questions about what I did, feel free!

This is my old system:
P4 2.4 ghz
256mb pc-2100
nvidia geforce4 mx420
40gb 5400 rpm samsung
dell mobo

3dmark01SE: 2,374
(could not get it to run 3dmark03 or 05)

Then I upgraded to the computer in my sig and as you can see my benches jumped way up. I gained about 20,000 points on 3dmark which is a big improvement.

What an incredible success story!

LMAO, but elbatrop, your P4 is a northy right? And change your FSB to ram ratio to 1:1, and tell me the difference you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom