Build my system for an X800XT AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
rollincatera said:
i'd say a 3.4HT P4 LGA775 and an ABIT ag8 mobo. overclock the thing a bit and your flyin. oh, it's beats the 800 range by a mile

forlon has decided AMD, it is ceaper and will fit in budget. 3.4HT will be around 300 alone.

rollin, were u selling that pc, or was it someone u bought it off of, it was on sale in te Buy/Sell section

Forlorn_ronin, get that Abit AV8 3RD EYE. Its a very good mobo. Its good for OC also. That mobo comes with Abits special OC Utility. Very easy to understand. If you have any questions about that mobo, PM me. I have it, have OC with it ect. Again, if your a gamer, then dont even consider a Intel. Experience proves.

As Gaara said, OCZ Rev3 Gold Edition Dual Channel Kit 2x512MB. Would work very well.

Ok this is good. I am liking the Abit AV8 mobo paired with the AMD Athlon 64 3200. I will go with these as my mobo and processor. I have a few questions though.

Ok first, don't I need to install a fan on the processor chip? If yes then can anyone tell me a decent fan compatible with this and any links that could help me with installing this on the processor?

Ok then next....

I noticed a few power supllies by thermaltake around 450 and 480 watts. Is this acceptable for this type of system. I agree that this is an important feature, but would like to cut the costs down in this area. Any suggestions?

Ok then Finally....

I also was wondering about the memory. My thing is like whoa on the price tag for the memory. Obviously I know this is an important factor for a system. This likely has an affect on my ATI AIW X800 XT 256MB AGP 8x Card. But, is there an alternative that is around the performance of what gaara stated as: OCZ Rev3 Gold Edition Dual Channel Kit 2x512MB? I would also like to cut the money down in that area without getting into to much overall loss of performance.

Oh and by the way... You guys rock. Thanks gaara you smacked it down. LOL. Thanks also to ankush, DJ, and Codeine. I might take you up on that offer Codeine when I start to put this monster together.

Much obliged to all of you ~ Ronin

AMD 3200+ (oc to 3800 easy)
MSI Neo2 Platinum
or ABIT a8v (both good for ocing)
2X120gig sata seagate in raid 0
1gig Geil Value ram or G.Skill PC4400 F1 (g.skill if you want seriouse oc)

don't get the corsair value as it is cas3 and doesn't like having the timings tightened much and the geil looks at least as cool :)

Ok first, don't I need to install a fan on the processor chip? If yes then can anyone tell me a decent fan compatible with this and any links that could help me with installing this on the processor?
The Thermaltake Venus 12 Heatsink mentioned by a couple of us will include a more than adaquent fan. ;)

As far as RAM is concerned, if you don't plan on overclocking, value RAM will suit you fine and save a bunch of money in your wallet. If you plan on overclocking however, I'm afraid you won't achieve very good results without dishing out a bit of money. It's well worth it though.

The PSU issue I'm a bit torn on. $50 is about as cheap as you're gonna get for a semi-decent power supply, and even that's a bit iffy. The PSU is a really important part, if you throw in some cheap generic PSU with your equipment and it fries, chances are it'll take something else with it.

Basically what you want is good steady rails. If you look on the inside of your current case now you will probably see a label on the side of your PSU with a bunch of numbers like 3.3, 5, 12 etc. These are your rails, and should not fluctuate very much, as in they should maintain a pretty steady voltage, and they should remain relatively close to where they should be. ;)

In addition, some PSUs are rated as 420 watts, but that may really just be their peak output, meaning they won't put a steady 420 watts all the time. A good power supply will give out a steady output they advertise and will have a higher peak output. For example, a 420 watt PSU may give out a steady 420 watts, but may peak at something like 500 watts.

Finally, you'll want high amps on your rails. Basically, the higher the better. ;)

I OWN IT!!!

I have an ati x800 xt... and well just look at the rest for a BAD ASS pc... :) :) :) ME VERY HAPPY!

Ok then here's my next question. Say I go with the value ram. Will I notice a big difference in the performance of my vid card? Also if I don't plan on overclocking and want to keep it at stock levels will my AMD 3200 CPU & value memory at cas 2.5 timing be fast and able to handle the ATI AIW X800 XT 256MB AGP vid card? I guess what I'm asking is will I be able to tell the difference by eye? Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom