Status
Not open for further replies.

philbrown

Solid State Member
Originally, I had the following system:
Intel P4 3.2 GHz
1.5 GB DDR RAM
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

I upgraded the graphics card to an ATi Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition 256MB, but I didn't notice a significant increase in performance.
I ran 3D Mark 2005 Free Edition, and was only scoring about 4200, when comparible systems were scoring 5800.

Since then I have changed the power supply to a 400W Aerocool supply, changed the motherboard and changed the processor, all thinking these might be the problem.

However, the system still only scores 4100 on 3D Mark. The only original components are the RAM (which I've swapped out before with no increase in performance), and the Hard Drive.
I can't see how the hard drive though would bring the system to such a low score.

I tested the above system with a 2.4 P4 chip, and it scored 4050.

I have the latest drivers for the motherboard and the graphics card, and can't think what else to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Phil

well intels wont score as high as amd systems in 3d mark benchs but ur right there should be more of a boost than that. when u changed ur cpu and everythin did u do a fresh windows instal? u might have old drivers and stuff in there messing things up if u havent.
about the hard drive, if ur running a 5400 rpm it will have a effect on ur performance 7200 is standard now with afew 10000s around

No, haven't done a re-installation of Win XP.
The comparisons were done with other users with the exact same system ie P4 3.2.
The hard drive is 5400 rpm. Will this really cause me to get scores of 4100 instead of 5800 though? Surely it will only cause slowdowns during disk access. I thought the tests would be run from memory.

Mobo is an AOpen AX4SPE Max II. Scored very high on motherboards.org.

-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom