Best OS for this task?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rememberme

In Runtime
Hello,

I'm looking to use one of my computers as a Internet Gateway / Server for a home network. Basically I will have my broadband connection run into this machine (which will be on 24/7) and have all of my other computer connect through it. I will also have my USB printer hooked up on it to allow them all to use that.

What I really need is an operating system that will run for lengthy amounts of time without sending me error messages (as there will be no monitor on this computer). All the computer will do is share its internet connection, the printer and the files on its hard drive (I plan to backup my .mp3 collection on it so all computers can play the tunes).

What does everyone suggest for an OS? I guess Linux, but if so - what one? Apart fro the computer we are talking about I will have 2 other computers connected with ethernet cables (XP) and a powerbook connected wirelessly (OSx).

AND... What is a good firewall to install for a little bit of security on it? THANKS :)

Other Linux distros are fine, but the firewall distros come with specialized installs and GUIs to manage routing and firewalling tasks with no fuss.

There is no question that Red Hat will work, its just an issue of how. You can hammer a nail into a wall with a hammer or the end of a screwdriver. Both will work, but one is a bit more efficient.

Well ive tried different distros on my systems and some didnt work for me. Mandrake 10.1 didnt detect all my hardware, and i had problems with the GCC. Debian was too hard to install. But Red Hat was the most successful. So, therefore Red Hat, in my opinion is the most "efficient"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom