question about digital camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsc315

Beta member
I have just recently bought a digital camera. This will be my first digital camera. It should be here in 2 days:D Anyways, I was wondering, in general, how many pictures can fit on a memory card? Also, is there a big difference between SD cards and MMC card? the camera accepts both, I am just curious. if anyone could help thanks.

I just got a 128MB memory card. the 16 MB they give is good for 20 pics at a good resolution - the printed copies are great at this resolution. Therefore, the 128MB is good for 150+ picks - which is nice.

Here is a more accurate answer:

The number of pictures that can be stored depends on;

The resolution (CCD ppi) of your cameras - Higher resolution images produce larger files.
The setting on your camera - fine/normal/hi-res.
The type of image compression used on your camera.
The subject you are photographing - If your camera uses compression the amount of detail in a picture will affect the final file size. Compare a picture of a car with a white background and a picture of a car in front of a forest.

Go here to find how many pictures will fit usning different size cards (megs) and cameras shooting at different resolutions (megapixels)

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=CompactFlash&Attrib=Package&cat=Flash

As for difference between SD & MMC is basically the size and type made by manufactor. I think you can buy SD cards that are larger in size (mb wise).

I will assume that your new camera is of the Kodak variety as most Kodaks use both type cards.

A good resolution depends on what you plan to do with the picture. If you are printing then 3 meg and above depending on size of photo. If you are emailing then below 3 meg is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom