Will my PSU work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the 20-pin PSU started the comp up, but there was a warning in big red letters that a 20-pin PSU was being used instead of 24-pin. I was also unable to even get to windows as the system couldn't boot and showed an error message stating that there is a hardware problem. As I stated earlier, the mobo manual said that using a 20-pin PSU could cause the system to become "unbootable or unstable due to insufficient electricity". I bought an adaptor for $10 online, but my one question is:
Will this new adaptor really solve my problem?
And one more thing...
I have never booted this computer up with this PSU or mobo, and I have a brand new Radeon 9800 pro inside without its drivers even installed yet.
Should I use my old Geforce4 MX460 while i'm booting up the comp with this new mobo and install the mobo's drivers first, or am I ok using this new graphics card and installing its drivers after I install the mobo's drivers?

u should be fine to just leave it as it is freeman

also sui the connector u showed him would not have worked cuz he has a 20 pin psu going to a 24 in mobo and that connector was visa verson "Converts a 24pin power supply connector to older ATX 20pin." see what i mean the ends would not have been right

You will be fine using a 20 pin PSU on a 24 pin motherboard, just acquire the appropriate adapter and you'll be set (a good PSU should include the adapter ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom