Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Clawhammer core will have double the L2 cache size of the Winchester and Newcastle, and will use a 130nm process.

The Newcastle core will use a smaller 512KB L2 cache, and also a 130nm process, however it's built using superior architechture which makes up for the smaller cache size.

The Winchester core will also use 512KB L2 cache, and will use the same architechture of the Newcastle core which will compensate the cache size, however it uses a smaller 90nm process which will result in less voltage use and less heat dissipation compared to the other two cores.

You should've gotten the gigabyte equiv to the a8n.. I just built a rig with an a8n-sli and 2 6600gts.. Ugh, I can officially say i hate everything asus has ever produced.

1) They put a 4pin 12v connector on the MB with an eps power connector. Most EPS power supplies are going to have a 6 pin 12v connector instead of the 4, unless you get a decent one that has both.

2) non-standard sli spacing. (notice that you have to use the jumper that came with the m/b and not the one that comes with the video card)

3) there is some bios bug where the machine wouldn't post if the ram wasnt located in the B channel on the m/b (may be dead socket, not sure yet)

4) and the layout of all the connections is whack..

BUY GIGABYTE!

to answer your question..

unless you have 80$ burning a hole in your pocket get the 3200 939 winchester

3200 can oc to 2.3-2.4 (at 30-35c) out of the box with a retail fan (As long as the memory and m/b arent generic.) But the motherboard wont be able to take much more than that.. Maybe one day someone will figure out how to unlock the a64 939 multiplier.

??? i havn't had any of those probs with my mobo. as to the abnormal sli spacing didn't you know that all mobo's come with their own clip??? as far as i know and this is just from personal experience hardly any if any grfx cards come with their own sli connectors??

and didn't you know gigabyte are cheaper cos they don't go for anyone who wants to oc! their good and stable but you will struggle to push them far at all as far as i know.

my stable speed is 50mhz faster than yours.. Every 6600 and 6800 ive ever opened (i build a lot of high end systems.) comes with a sli clip, aswell as the motherboards.. If you compare the tyan dual operton sli board, the gigabyte, and the asus you will see what im talking about.. Tyan and gigabyte are standard.. it is laid out pcie, pcx, pcie, pcx instead of pcie, pcx pcx, pcie..

the a8n-sli is like 150 and the gigabyte is 175ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom