email receival problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Francis

Baseband Member
Hey Folks;
I working with my parents computer at the moment. The Outlook Express cannot receive emails (Inbox).
I get a message like this...
" Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long p[eriod of inactivity."
I have just gotten off the phone with Sympatico (the ISP) and I thought that may be they had found the problem. But not to be.
One of the information boxes says something about installing Microsoft Works 2000 cd. I don`t even own the program and It is not loaded in this computer.
Does any one know why it asks for this stuff?
I will be heading home (235 miles away) and will comment further about this problem when I get there. There`s more to it than it looks.
As usual , thanks for being there...
Jay Francis

who are email through. Msn has stop pop3 for new users and it you don't manually click into from time to time it won't send your email through

Email problems

I appreciate the reply, but I think there are other problems that should be "fixable".
When I click on "Outlook Express" , the windows installer begins then an information box comes up...
" Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity. Account 'pop2.sympatico.ca , server:pop2.sympatico.ca,Protocol: pop3,port:110, Secure (ssl): Error number 0x800ccc0f."
When I click the "X" in the upper right, I get the following message...
" The feature you are trying to use is on a CDROM or other removeable disk that is not available. Insert the "Microsoft Works 2000" disk and click OK"
I pressed OK and got this message...
"The file 'Please insert Microsoft Works 2000 is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft Woks 2000. Try to find the installation package 'wks2000.msi' in a folder from which you can install Microsoft Woks 2000".
I clicked OK - Cancel
Next message...
"Microsoft Works 2000"
! Error 1706. No vaild source could be found for product Microsoft Works 2000. The windows installer cannot continue. OK
I typed in Find files or folders Microsoft Works 2000 and came up with ...user.rsc C;\windows
user.nu3 C:\windows
user.nu6 C:\windows
That`s all I could come up with. I had earlier used a CDROM for Canon printer bjc5100 to get that printer set up to his computer , but I don`t blieve that should be the problem. I also downloaded his AVG updates as well as his AdAware updates.
The bottom line is this...should I remove Outlook Express completely and start from scratch as well as the printer driver program? Like I said earlier, I`m about 230 miles away from where this computer is. Any ideas are appreciated. Hopefully you all can give me an idea that I can explain simply to this 88 year old over the phone.
Thanks again.
Jay Francis

Outlook Express is native to every Operating System made by M$, it does not require the end user to install, only configure accounts. Microsoft Outlook on the other hand, requires the end user to install.
To verify that you are using the Outlook Express program, click on your start button, click run, type in msimn and click ok. That will bring up the shell program for Outlook Express.
The following link from the M$ knowledge base, lists the programs that install with M$ Works 2000, neither M$ Outlook nor Outlook Express clients are listed.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245829

Thanks for the information! I just got off the phone awhile ago and thought I`d better let you all know that he (my father) had a friend over and he managed to get his outlook express up and running. I have no idea what was involved other than this friend of his was on the phone with the ISP for a long time. I appreciate everyones ideas of what it could have been. Like I said, I don`t even know what the problem was. Thanks again...Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom