PC turns on but nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuBee

Beta member
im a newbie when it comes to pc's let alone pc repair's so any info, remedies on my problem is apperciated!!
i turn on my pc then i hear 1 click sound while the keybroad light flashs for a second then blinks off then im only left with nothing but a blank screen & listening to a spinning fan.
actually while im online now & will be for awhile(3/14/05 5:45am-7:30am) can any one get at me directly on AOL screen name jaypapiblanco..

For more direct help List your sytem specs or make and Model....Try clearing CMOS

Windows 2000
Compaq 5WV261 5000 Series
750MHz AMD Duron
64MB Memory
30.0GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM Drive
CD-RW Drive
8MB Nvidia TNT2 Graphics
56k Modem
10/100Mb PCI NIC

i dont know what CMOS is let alone how to clear it lol

What cmos is, is a set of configurations so that the computer knows about some of the hardware and what to do that to get in to your OS (operating system... windows) If something got messed up in cmos your computer might not turn on correctly and you wont be able to load your OS. To make sure that your cmos isnt wierd you could check it, but you probably wont knowwhat to look for, or you can reset it. To do this you have to open up your computer. You have to look on your motherboard (the thing everything else connects to) for a jumper (a little plastic square with metal inside, when the metal touches two prongs on the motherboard or hard drive it makes a connection telling it to do something or be configured some way) There is a ceratin jumper you are looking for. Above the jumpers there are usually numbers like 1-2 or 2-1 somethin like that. Look around on your mother board for a spreadsheet looking thing that would say "1-2 - raid 1, 1-3 - raid 2, 2-1 - reset cmos" your looking for the number that resets the cmos (they mihgt lable it BIOS instead of cmos. Keep in mindtheat this chart will be very small and youll probably skip over it the first couple of looks. You might be able to look in your manual if you still have it. Once you find the jumper there will be three metal prongs. Two of them will have a jumper over them (to set the CMOS to normal) move the jumper one prong over (this sets it to reset the CMOS) Turn on your computer... it should stay black. Then turn it off and put the jumper back to where it was before. Hopefully that will fix your problem. If it dosnt you will need to provide more info... Ill send you a PM with my aim name.

now thats what i wanted alot of info to read, makes me think theres hope haha.. i'll get at you later on AIM, should've told me that you were going to get off after your 100th post damnit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom