Unknown Media Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunsider

In Runtime
Here's a fun one for you:

At a clients house, we have the following setup. 2 desktop pc's(Dimension 8400), one alienware gaming rig, and one laptop(Inspiron 600M). All connected on a secured network via wireless usb adapters(DWL-AG530 - Tri-Mode Dualband 802.11a/b/g (2.4/5GHz) Wireless 108Mbps PCI Adapter) to a DI-624 - High-Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless 108Mbps Router. All pc's have Win Xp Home Sp2.
3 of the 4 pc's connect fine. One of the desktops(8400) does not. The error we get on ipconfig with this machine is this - fatal error a hardware device attached to the network has failed - unknown media error.
So, we think ok maybe tcp/ip is corrupt, or the drivers are bad. So we take this pc, uninstall tcp/ip, reinstall. Uninstall the usb adapter, reinstall. Same error. No big deal, maybe the adapter is toast. So we take an adapter from one of the other pc's, uninstall and reinstall. Same error. The previous adapter will work fine with the other pc though, so that tosses out the notion of a bad adapter.
So, I start to think winsock error perhaps. I take this desktop upstairs to where the gateway is, and install an ethernet card, and direct connect it to the modem. Connects fine, gets a valid ip number. I even went so far as to hook up a usb cable from the modem to the pc and install the drivers, and it connected fine as well. So why not just run an extended enet cable? Well, that's not what the client wants, so it's not an option.
So maybe the usb port. So I connect 6 devices up to all his usb ports, and they all work fine. So I know it's not the usb ports.
We even stripped the mobo down to just one memory card, and still produced the same error.
There are no irq conflicts, device manager is fine and no system errors other than that unknown media error in ipconfig, which btw, does not list a number or reference point. Just says "unknown media error" not helpful, I know, I've been googling and searching the net to find any reference to that one, coming up blank.
Any ideas? I've pretty much tried everything I know, reinstalling Windows is not a workable option, I know the os is fine, as connecting via enet and usb cable modem work well.

maybe it's usb1.1 not 2.0.

I can't help much since it isn't the ethernet route

It's Usb 2.0. But thanks anyways I found the problem. Upon reinstall, the driver link in the registry would be valid. Ater a reboot to the pc, the link to the inf in the registry would disappear. So we just forced an entry in the registry and now it connects no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom