PS2 mouse on a pc with a serial port only

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmouse

Solid State Member
My friend has an older pc with only a serial connection for a mouse. The serial mouse he has now is not working well so I gave him a spare mouse I had but it's a ps2 mouse. We bought a ps2 to serial adapter but the pc does not see the new mouse at all. Is there any trick to get it to work?
Thanks a lot.

He has Windows98 SE. The pc has no problems with current serial mouse - it is the mouse itself that is not functioning well (eg. you have to press the buttons really hard and repeatedly for it to work - and it used to work fine before. I also cleaned it and checked the settings..)
We want to hook up a ps2 mouse to this pc, but it only has a serial port and when I use the serial-to-ps2 adapter, the pc won't see the mouse. Without the mouse working, I can't check for the conflicts in device manager, and if I switch back to serial mouse, there are not conflicts then, naturally.

new mice are all ps2, not serial, so I am still left with the same problem: pc won't see a ps2 mouse connected to a serial porth via a serial-to-ps2 adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom