2x6600GT or 1x6800GT ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok you gotta look at this from a wide perspective ok? Yes you can get 2 6600GT's and be a pimp w/ sli blah blah and have great performance but as gara said there are driver compatibility issues right now that are a real big problem. So if you go /w the 6800GT and pay the same (give or take) you will get better performance at the start and when SLI becomes the standard (if it does im assuming only) you buy ANOTHER 6800GT and BOOM! youve got great performance! See what im talking about?
there is no PCI-X
yes there is. google it or look it up on sites. wanna linky? ill send you one of a mobo that has PCI-X; it is completely different than PCI-E. It cant run the current video cards, and actually i have yet found a video card that supports PCI-X.
voodoo was very similar to the current SLI technology, yet you don't see any voodoo cards around today.
Ok this is a story all in its own. Ok simply put Voodoo put to much money in other companies to create their bords and after some crap they got boguth out (or went bankrupt, who knows.:p i think if oyu look you will find the complete story) Where as the Voodoo boards are concerned, yes they are similar to SLI but VERY different! They have 2 GPU's on one board to split the load of the of just one. What they where trying to accomplish was halfing the load for cooler temps only to OC the chips and then BAM you have quad power. They where gonna try and make that times 8 by putting 4 chips on one board (Voodoo 5 6000) but they went out of business before hand. the only point is that they didnt do it right so it wasnt effective and only made the thing to be REALLY HUGE!!!:) What SLI is doing is basically the same thing but splitting the load between two cards. So if say you have one 6800GT and it performs great why not put another in there and doiuble the performance maybe? Thing is, is its not working as they hoped so righ tnow its only a scam if you say for ppl to buy more of their cards lol. Pretty smart. i lost my train of thought so im out. if i forgot somethig please say!:D
Weather or not SLI is even worth it, a 256MB is better then 2 128MBs. 6800GT...
not exactly cause games dont exactly use all of 256mb. Only doom3 i belive uses that much on board Vram. But it requires 512mb for Ultra high settings. SO techinically 128 is not better but its not worse.

sorry my mistake in not mentioning the Server platforms, so still i say there is no concept of PCI-X in desktop boards, PCI-X was successor of PCI (only seen in server motherboards), and the newer vesion of this is PCI-X 2.0 (just like USB 2.0), and this PCI-X 2.0 is still slower than the PCI-E. and will not live longer than half decade as it will eventually be replaced by PCI-E.

Well i was only saying that there IS a PCI-X cause you said there wasnt. I was just refering to everything cause not everybody knows so it serves as valuable information. I was thinking about getting that server board and trying to make it a desktop by getting the top of th eline PCI-X video card. lol so much for that as i found out.:p but yes PCI-E iS faster and wil llive on whereas PCI-X will not cause i dont know of any purpose for it. Unless someboyd can fill me in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom