new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
I got a new 120GB Seagate hard drive the other day but I am unable to get ti to work. I thought I would be as simple as taking out the old drive putting in the new one, formatting and installing XP. After doing this when I turn on the computer it just says something like invalid system disk or something similar. Can someone tell me how to install the hard disk correctly?

Thanks

IDE? SATA? Make sure the jumpers on the back are positioned correctly and correspond to how you are using it. (IDE master, IDE Secondary, etc)

i have the hard drive set as master and the dvd rom as slave, there is no jumper to set it 4 the size.

Hmm.. if it were me i'd set my CD Rom to secondary master and HDD to primary master, unless you have something else there already.

I am guessing this is SATA

If so, leave it connected, than put your XP disc in. Press f6 when it says to install SATA drivers. Install them from a floppy or CD

i will try that chris, but i dnt think i have ever seen a message saying to hit f6. im not at the pc now but i'll let u's no. thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom